Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker terminology

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all. Can someone explain the meaning of the expression. " He had jumped into my hold ’em pot pre-flop, calling a huge raise." Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Hold 'em is short for a type of poker called Texas Hold'em. In this game you are dealt 2 personal cards face down and then 5 cards face up which are used by everyone at the table (The community cards) The idea is to make the best hand using 5 of the 7 cards available to you.

The 5 community cards are dealt in stages called the flop (3 cards), turn (1 card) and river (1 card). Betting takes place between each stage.

Pre flop means you have already got your 2 personal cards and there is now a round of betting before the next stage.

So in this case, an opponent has called a bet that was made before the first 3 of 5 community cards have been dealt. ( the flop )

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

Thank you. I couldn't get my head around the sentence as I do not play the game. Although I get the fact that he raised the bet, I'm still not sure how he took the pot. I guess all other players dropped out because he had ace and 7 of the same suit? Here is the source:

“I wouldn’t have played ace-seven if it hadn’t been suited,” Bill explained to me. He had just raked in a huge pot with the nut flush.
    “I see,” said I. But I really didn’t see, not at all. He had jumped into my hold ’em pot pre-flop, calling a huge raise."

When he says: " He had jumped in my hold'em pot...", I take it he means into the game of Texas hold'em and its pot. Am I correct? If yes, what does the pre-flop mentioned? Does it means he was raising bets every flop? Assuming, flop is the stage of the holdem game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

b.e.s.s. wrote: »
    Thank you. I couldn't get my head around the sentence as I do not play the game. Although I get the fact that he raised the bet, I'm still not sure how he took the pot. I guess all other players dropped out because he had ace and 7 of the same suit? Here is the source:

“I wouldn’t have played ace-seven if it hadn’t been suited,” Bill explained to me. He had just raked in a huge pot with the nut flush.
    “I see,” said I. But I really didn’t see, not at all. He had jumped into my hold ’em pot pre-flop, calling a huge raise."

When he says: " He had jumped in my hold'em pot...", I take it he means into the game of Texas hold'em and its pot. Am I correct? If yes, what does the pre-flop mentioned? Does it means he was raising bets every flop? Assuming, flop is the stage of the holdem game?

You are correct about holdem and the pot. Every pot in poker begins with two players throwing in the small and big blinds. Big blind is twice the small blind, so let's say big blind is two euro, small is one euro. These are tiny bets that players must make when it's their turn before hands are dealt. The big and small blind onus moves around the table clockwise do that each player will by default have to put in some money at some stage. The reason for blinds is to encourage action, as otherwise people would just wait for the best starting cards (AA, KK).

After the two blinds are in the pot the first person to act (seated to the left of the big blind, known as "under the gun") can call or limp, he can fold or he can raise. This is "pre flop". The flop is the first three community cards that the dealer puts out. The turn is the fourth card, the river is the fifth card. So you're right flop is a stage of every hand. You have pre flop, flop, turn, river in that order. In pre flop all you have to go by is the two cards in front of you. So Ace Ace would be the best hand to have at this stage. A round of betting occurs and the remaining players are dealt the flop. Back to pre flop. So the first person to act looks at his cards and he has a good hand. So let's say he raises 3 euro more so the next person has to pay 5 euro to call, or he can raise more and the initial raiser has to call more money. After all bets abd raises have been called (aka) every person who hasn't foled has put in the same amount of money into the pit, the flop, or first three community cards is dealt. Then betting resumes like at the start, players bet, call, raise or fold depending on how they feel about their hand or they can "check" which means they decide to put no money in the pot and end their turn. However you can only check when there has been no bet. So let's say there's 25 euro in the pot, the flop has come and I am first to act. I can check as it's a new round of betting and there are no new bets to call as I'm first to act and I have no obligation to bet so I check. The next guy bets 10 euro and I have to call that 10 to continue in the hand or I can re raise which means I see his ten and maybe throw in ten more and he has to throw in ten more to stay in. Let's say he calls and all bets are settled, now the fourth card in the middle is dealt, the turn and betting continues just like before. Then the final card, the river is dealt and one more round of betting happens. After that if two players are still contesting the pot it's showdown, where both players must show their hands and the best hand wins the pot.

The "nut flush" would be when a person has a hand with five of the same suit (hearts or diamonds or spades or clubs). The "nuts" is the best possible hand at any given time, so the but flush is a royal flush technically, and to a lesser degree a straight flush but the vast majority of the time when someone says nut flush it's when they have the Ace of whatever suit plus for more of that suit. So let's say my two cards were the ace and five of diamonds and then I used the eight, ten and seven of diamonds that were in the middle/community cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

Thank you. That was very helpful. I feel that I can almost play poker now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

What does "bike" mean when entering a poker tournament? As in "bikes" are available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

sm3ar wrote: »
    What does "bike" mean when entering a poker tournament? As in "bikes" are available?

the first person eliminated from a 'freeze oUt' tournament, ie a tournament where you cannot rebuy, may be offered a bike, which means they, and only they, may re-enter the tournament
    Subsequent eliminations would not be permitted to re-enter

Advertisement