Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3,500 complaints about motor dealers - one prosecution

Options
  • 14-08-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭

Great to see that our taxes are being spent on effective consumer protection for motorists. Of the 3,500 complaints lodged with our consumer 'protection' agency, only one case went to court......

Isolde Goggin, Chairperson of the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission said:

“In 2015, we received over 3,500 contacts from consumers relating to the motor sector – issues range from difficulties with deposits and financing, to potential car clocking and/or the selling of crashed cars.

Goggin said that one contact lea to the CCPC opening an investigation which resulted in an individual being prosecuted for misleading a consumer about the mileage of a car.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/almost-34000-products-were-prevented-from-entering-the-irish-market-due-to-safety-concerns-34963863.html

Highly significant that they're only claiming it as a prosecution, not a conviction which means the one guy they hauled into court probably got off on a technicality :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Not every complaint has to go to court. I'm sure there are ways to resolve issues before it escalates that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Not every complaint is justified either. People complaining about finance, maybe they didn't read the paperwork properly. Potential clocking, unless there is proof or the car has been clocked, there is nothing to prove. I would be more interested in how many of the 3500 complaints where investigated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not every complaint is justified either. People complaining about finance, maybe they didn't read the paperwork properly. Potential clocking, unless there is proof or the car has been clocked, there is nothing to prove. I would be more interested in how many of the 3500 complaints where investigated.

Perhaps you might look at this.

Or this thread in Motors.
    Beware 320d SE 11 Donedeal clocker (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Shoking - and these are just the easy ones to catch because they use the UK government website here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Perhaps you might look at this.

Or this thread in Motors.
    Beware 320d SE 11 Donedeal clocker (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Shoking - and these are just the easy ones to catch because they use the UK government website here.

I am well aware that clocking does go on, never said it doesn't. My point is most people won't have a clue about a clocked car and might think they have viewed one and reported as such. That's why I said at the end of my comment I would like to know how many of the 3500 complaints where investigated. That was after the bit you highlighted, I presume you didn't read my full comment?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am well aware that clocking does go on, never said it doesn't. My point is most people won't have a clue about a clocked car and might think they have viewed one and reported as such. That's why I said at the end of my comment I would like to know how many of the 3500 complaints where investigated. That was after the bit you highlighted, I presume you didn't read my full comment?

Of course I read your comment.

If the blindingly obvious is not investigated, how could you believe much else is? We have a thread that has been going for months citing flagrant clocking on UK registered cars for sale on Donedeal by people using Irish mobile numbers and Irish locations.

It is an offence to sell a clocked car. It is an offence to sell a foreign registered car unless the seller has a TAN reference. So two crimes to investigate per post - just by looking at a thread on boards.ie, with all the required evidence there..

So I doubt if more than a token investigation occurred with most of the complaints. Quangos at their best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement