Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger opening in Carlow

Options
  • 14-08-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭

I see Tiger are opening somewhere on Tullow st. They are a kind of Ikea type euro shop. There's one in Newbridge, it's very good value and popular. Great boast to that street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tiger is great... nice for kids games and stationery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Good to see it. Where on tullow street I am abit surprised it's going outside of a shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

iano.p wrote: »
    Good to see it. Where on tullow street I am abit surprised it's going outside of a shopping centre.

Not sure...but there's so many vacant units, they probably got a good deal to entice them. I'd guess maybe the old Houstons store? That's pretty big and modern.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

But Tiger is just a slightly more expensive "pound shop" With Dealz and Mr. Price close at hand plus he ones already on Tullow Street I don't see the benefit to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anything bring jobs into the town is a good thing but I would prefer to see the Penny's & Wetherspoon developments get moving along and the long rumoured arrival of TK Maxx.

I probably have more of a chance of winning the Lotto that those developments though and I don't even do the Lotto.

• Advertisement

But Tiger is just a slightly more expensive "pound shop" With Dealz and Mr. Price close at hand plus he ones already on Tullow Street I don't see the benefit to the town.

And with negative attitudes like this it's little wonder it's hard to get anything going in Carlow...it's a popular store that will bring much needed footfall and life to Tullow st.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

road_high wrote: »
    And with negative attitudes like this it's little wonder it's hard to get anything going in Carlow...it's a popular store that will bring much needed footfall and life to Tullow st.
    The same argument could be made for what happened to O' Connell Street in Dublin. The real obstacles to retail in the town centre and the high rates and the parking issues.

The same argument could be made for what happened to O' Connell Street in Dublin. The real obstacles to retail in the town centre and the high rates and the parking issues.

There's no comparison there because we're talking about a quality retailer here that will bring much needed footfall and life to a struggling street. It's not going to lower the tone as pretty much anything is an upward trajectory from the current status quo.
    Never had an issue with parking in Carlow town centre, it's well served and some of its even free. Out of town is what damaged Carlow, bringing new retailers back to the Main Street is exactly what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Option 1 for Tiger could be Darrers/Houstons.

Option 2 for Tiger would be Minx?

Both have had for sale/to let signs taken down relatively recently.

However to throw a curve ball out there, the L&N in Penny Lane was sold recently & internal & external work started on it within last fortnight regarding power-washing walls.....may be a white elephant like the Braun site mind or would it be either a), big enough or b), too big for a Tiger store?

In line with things opening The Food Hut should be back by end of September; there's some class of a yoke going in where the coffee shop was on Kennedy Ave. beside McDonalds/Axa/Carphone Warehouse; windows're all blacked out currently.

Sammon Group have commenced site work/s on Tyndall Institute on Kilkenny Rd.; containers in, fencing up; won't be too long more before plant arrives on site & she gets moving; due to open for December 2017/January 2018 I think?

Be quare handy for some of the staff with the Dolmen a minutes drive further out at lunchtime.

Minx according to today's Nationalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thought they were slightly classier than a euro-style shop, I've only seen them in big cities before myself. There was one on Oxford street and in Westifeld Stratford in London and I also saw it in Hong Kong.
    So, I think it's probably quite a good sign to see one opening in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Oh yikes, Tiger opening.

I'm going to be broke. I love that shop.

Advertisement