Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a 4g antenna away from the house and a wireless point to point link?

Options
  • 13-08-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

I live in the sticks a fair bit outside ballyvourney on a farm where and we've shocking reception with 3 in the house speeds of about 200kb/s with 400 ping and 100kb/s upload during the day and generally won't connect in the evening, maybe 1mb/s download at about 4am if anyone is up to use it.
    However two fields (250m) behind the house I can connect to 4G on with 3 with my iPhone (2 or 3 bars strength) getting download speeds of 15mb/s and roughly 30-55 ping with 10mb/s upload.
    I was thinking of throwing up an external antenna in that field, using the dongles simcard and getting a wireless point to point link to the house then.

Is it as simple as it sounds or will it be more complex ? Has anyone here tried this and had success ? And could ye recommend any specific antennas, transmitter/receivers I should look out for ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Check out this thread. As far as I remember it was a similar situation to what you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DonkeyWalloper

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    . As far as I remember it was a similar situation to what you describe.

Cheers, I'll have a read through thanks for linking it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a good thread, but this is a better one!

Its exactly what you want to do. The only thing is pushing PoE over 250m may be problematic. What I would suggest is that if you can get 4G at ground level there, you may be able to get it at 40ft in the air from closer. Testing that theory could be a little tricky but a temporary setup with a Mifi device strapped to a pole would be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP I'm not too far away and have similar (worse) problems getting a signal. I pick up a signal from a neighbors garden using their power and then use a simple wireless link to connect.

In your case can you use a farm building that has power and put the device up high on the building like a barn or is there a pump house with power anywhere near that has both a good signal and power installed?

It may also be counter intuitive but sometimes you get a better signal by going further away from the mast in your case probably towards the sea.

Vodafone probably have the better signal in the area from their mast at Stradbally but I guess you are too low to get them. With all the valleys and coves its hard for any supply to fully cover the coast.

If you have line of site then you'll get a link with most ordinary wireless routers over 250m provided the antennas are LOS outside, iirc I used a 14db external flat panel WiFi antenna at the neighbors end and a cheap 7db omni direction antenna in a window at our end over a similar distance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

• Advertisement
Advertisement