Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine repair - Mazda 6 1.8L

Options
  • 13-08-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    At last I decided to repair my car instead of buying a second one, the amount of scrap is just to much to waste time to find something decent. More or less the car is done, the only problem is the engine, oil burning etc.
    What parts exactly I would need for repair? I presume gasket seals, oil rings? Anything else?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

It's the same engine ford use in mondeo and oil burning is very common worn piston rings and valves is the biggest problem.

But you will need to start at beginning check crankcase breader PCV. It might be blocked causing pressure in crankcase and force oil into piston chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

visual wrote: »

But you will need to start at beginning check crankcase breader PCV. It might be blocked causing pressure in crankcase and force oil into piston chamber.

Out of interest, is that a big job to check or replace?

Just that we've got a similar car with the same problem. Millage not too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Unfortunate I decided to leave it as is. With two cylinders showing low pressure I would probably need to grind the engine block, I dont know the exact cost but probably around 500€ just for it. Plus new pistons etc, nope. I had hopes to do just the pistons rings, maybe head gasket seals, but my friendly mechanic was so kind to get it out of my head.
    Out of interest, is that a big job to check or replace?

Just that we've got a similar car with the same problem. Millage not too high.

Millage doesn't matter here, if the person owning the car did avoided the proper service sooner or later engine problem will occur. My friend was looking for Mazda 5, no luck. He did see five in last week, all of them had similar issue as mine.
    It looks that 1.8L from Ford needs a lot of love.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Unfortunate I decided to leave it as is. With two cylinders showing low pressure I would probably need to grind the engine block, I dont know the exact cost but probably around 500€ just for it. Plus new pistons etc, nope. I had hopes to do just the pistons rings, maybe head gasket seals, but my friendly mechanic was so kind to get it out of my head.

Millage doesn't matter here, if the person owning the car did avoided the proper service sooner or later engine problem will occur. My friend was looking for Mazda 5, no luck. He did see five in last week, all of them had similar issue as mine.
    It looks that 1.8L from Ford needs a lot of love.

Piston rings and valves on ford 1.8 engine makes it a engine to avoid.

visual wrote: »
    Piston rings and valves on ford 1.8 engine makes it a engine to avoid.

The PCV valve is down the front of the engine would need to remove the intake manifold to gain access. There is a few youtube videos might give you some idea what's needed to check it. But if your looking at low compression on any cylinder it's probable cheaper to pick up another car than push on trying to repair engine

• Advertisement
Advertisement