Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear ended by a tourist..?

Options
  • 12-08-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello,

This is an odd one to say the least, now i may be in the wrong here also..il go through the whole thing..

Yesterday i was heading towards the city from the countryside, a tractor was slowing traffic down and when he decided to pull in off the main road and as cars came to a stand still a Renault Clio smashed me from behind.

He was completely in the wrong, he didn't even brake! He was a young French tourist and had his friend with him, he immediately admitted he was wrong and said sorry.

Damage to my car is minimal, however it requires the rear bumper to be resprayed, rear quarter, the spare wheel well has a dent in it and the exhaust has pushed up and snapped or bent somewhere.

His car was also his own, not a rental and on french plates.

I took pics and exchanged all particulars, i then got my father to bring me to the Garda station to make a statement.

Today I called my broker who connected me to claims, then fella requested all the details to which i supplied. He said he had to consult with his superiors. He returned to say due to me having my car insured on 3rd Party Fire and Theft that they would not be pursuing the young French fella because he was outside the Uk/Ireland..? He said to fill in a form and send it to www.MIBI.ie.

Im sickened, why should I pay for another fella who clearly wasn't paying attention when driving!

What should I do..? Anyone ever in a similar situation..? How long does it take MIBI to process these claims..?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭dennyk

Comprehensive insurance pays for accident damage to your car; if you don't have that coverage, then your own insurance company will never pay for your own car's accident damage, so that's perfectly normal. If you want your own insurance company to cover damages to your car, you'd need to upgrade your policy to comprehensive.

Seems from reading their site that MIBI does in fact assist with processing claims against foreign-registered drivers. I imagine it will take some time, though, as they have to investigate the accident and work with a foreign insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

It can take 4 years......depends if French tourist plays ball

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tdireddi wrote: »
    Today I called my broker who connected me to claims, then fella requested all the details to which i supplied. He said he had to consult with his superiors. He returned to say due to me having my car insured on 3rd Party Fire and Theft that they would not be pursuing the young French fella because he was outside the Uk/Ireland..? He said to fill in a form and send it to www.MIBI.ie.

You took the other guy's particulars - who is he insured with? The MIBI covers uninsured and unidentified driver, if you have his insurance details then you will need to pursue that avenue first, don't expect the MIBI to cough up just because he's a foreigner.

I don't see why you got in touch with your own insurance or broker when you don't have fully comp., nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

coylemj wrote: »
    You took the other guy's particulars - who is he insured with? The MIBI covers uninsured and unidentified driver, if you have his insurance details then you will need to pursue that avenue first, don't expect the MIBI to cough up just because he's a foreigner.

I don't see why you got in touch with your own insurance or broker when you don't have fully comp., nothing to do with them.

The MIBI incorporates the Irish Visiting Motorists Bureau which has the responsibility if handling claims in Ireland against the foreign policies of visiting motorists, ie it is the appropriate place although it acts as agent not principal in settling claims of this nature (ie it doesn't fund them).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tdireddi

coylemj wrote: »

He's insured with Generali Iard..? Have I gone about this all wrong..?

Even with 3rd party I should be covered if I was not in the wrong..? Yes..?

Should I contact his insurance company instead of what should I do..?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks

Contact the MIBI.

It will take some time to get it sorted but that's your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks

http://www.mibi.ie/making-a-claim/foreign-vehicles.422.html

Advertisement