Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 or Level 8

Options
  • 12-08-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all, I am hoping I could get some advice here. If I got an option to study Engineering at Level 7 and Level 8 in IT Tallaght, which would you advise me to do as a mature student? Apart from Level 8 being Honours and Level 7, an Ordinary degree, is there actually any difference between these two in terms of workload? I heard that Level 8 is a bit faster than Level 7. Does this mean it is more difficult than a Level 7 degree? I am curious as I would be going to college as a mature student, so I'm a little bit nervous. Here is a little info about my educational background... I completed a 2-year diploma programme in Computer Engineering (foreign qualification- more like a Level 6 in the NFQ) in 2001, and since then I have been out of third level education.

My goal is to get an Honours degree, but would you advise me to go through the Level 7 route (doing a Level 7 plus 1 or 2 add-on year(s) to get the Level 8) or should I go for the Level 8? Should I be worried about the level of difficulty, if any, as a mature student who left higher education since 2001?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

For all it's worth I'd definitely say go for the level 8 if that's what you want to end up doing anyway!!
    The workload might be more intense but I think it would be worth it in the end. 18 year olds straight out of school will be doing the same thing and if they're capable I don't see why you wouldn't be!!
    It might look better on the cv when it's time to apply for a job too. I'm sure you know your own capabilities more than anyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Elai147

helpful wrote: »
    For all it's worth I'd definitely say go for the level 8 if that's what you want to end up doing anyway!!
    The workload might be more intense but I think it would be worth it in the end. 18 year olds straight out of school will be doing the same thing and if they're capable I don't see why you wouldn't be!!
    It might look better on the cv when it's time to apply for a job too. I'm sure you know your own capabilities more than anyone else though.
    Thanks a lot for your time. You definitely relieved me of some tension.

More opinions/advice are welcomed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Elai147 wrote: »
    More opinions/advice are welcomed. Thanks

I'd go for the level 8 also. I'd similar options for a business course, and genuinely underestimated my abilities. You're essentially keeping up with kids straight from leaving cert, and that's 100% manageable.

If this is what you want to do, whether it comes naturally or requires long nights, you'll get there. I found some modules easy and some requiring a real study session, but it all comes down to your determination to do it. Don't delay yourself with a level 7 if level 8 is really what you want.

ghpeople wrote: »
    I'd go for the level 8 also. I'd similar options for a business course, and genuinely underestimated my abilities. You're essentially keeping up with kids straight from leaving cert, and that's 100% manageable.

If this is what you want to do, whether it comes naturally or requires long nights, you'll get there. I found some modules easy and some requiring a real study session, but it all comes down to your determination to do it. Don't delay yourself with a level 7 if level 8 is really what you want.

Thanks for your advice. I am very determined, and will do whatever it takes to get there. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It depends on whether you have relevant work experience. If you have no experience I would say do the level 8, if you have relevant work experience I would think that the level 7 would be sufficient. Relevant experience seems to count for a lot compared to degree level.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

I'd echo earlier sentiments- go with Level 8, especially as that's what you want to achieve overall.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    It depends on whether you have relevant work experience. If you have no experience I would say do the level 8, if you have relevant work experience I would think that the level 7 would be sufficient. Relevant experience seems to count for a lot compared to degree level.

I have no relevant work experience, so I guess level 8 will be it. Thanks.

DavidKeane wrote: »
    I'd echo earlier sentiments- go with Level 8, especially as that's what you want to achieve overall.

Thanks David.

Got offers for my first choice from both Level 7 and Level 8 yesterday. Would be accepting the Level 8 as advised. Thanks a million to all of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Elai147 wrote: »
    Got offers for my first choice from both Level 7 and Level 8 yesterday. Would be accepting the Level 8 as advised. Thanks a million to all of you.

Congrats! Get ready for a super fast 4 years... :)

Advertisement