Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding fine down South!

Options
  • 12-08-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I just received a €80 fine in the post to my N Ireland address. I was supposedly doing 121km in a 100km zone. My car and licence are both N Ireland/UK.

What's the chances of getting away with it? Or will they follow it up? Would N Ireland not being in the EU have any affect on it? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Capone79 wrote: »
    I just received a €80 fine in the post to my N Ireland address. I was supposedly doing 121km in a 100km zone. My car and licence are both N Ireland/UK.

What's the chances of getting away with it? Or will they follow it up? Would N Ireland not being in the EU have any affect on it? Cheers

If you get stopped again while in the South and this gets flagged by the Guard you could be in bother then. I'd just pay the fine, you'll not get points on your licence so the €80 penalty isn't much really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Depends on how much time you spend south of the border..
    As the other lad said, for the sake of 80 quid, peace of mind driving

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Youre skipoing a bit ahead there with the not in the eu bit. Thats min 2 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭goochy

Note to op , don't speed down here in future !

Youre skipoing a bit ahead there with the not in the eu bit. Thats min 2 years away.

Doesn't really matter anyway. It's not like they'll extradite him for a speeding ticket EU or not. If he never drives in the South again he'll be fine, if he does and gets pulled over then he could be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

wait for the summons..... (it'll never arrive)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Capone79

Jayop wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter anyway. It's not like they'll extradite him for a speeding ticket EU or not. If he never drives in the South again he'll be fine, if he does and gets pulled over then he could be in trouble.

I do be down a lot so it's prob best to pay up. How would they have got my address etc? Would they have had to contact the DVLNI? cause the tax is out on it.

I do be down a lot so it's prob best to pay up. How would they have got my address etc? Would they have had to contact the DVLNI? cause the tax is out on it.

Not sure, I'd assume so.

I just noticed they have got the number plate wrong on the notice, does it matter?

I just noticed they have got the number plate wrong on the notice, does it matter?

Unless you were pulled over I'm not sure how they could trace it back to you with the wrong plate number. very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Unless you were pulled over I'm not sure how they could trace it back to you with the wrong plate number. very strange.

Well they got the year wrong, everything else was right.

testicles wrote: »
    How long were you in Mexico for? Do you intend to go back?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

if they got the year wrong, how did they trace you?

Send it back and say "not my car"

if they got the year wrong, how did they trace you?

Send it back and say "not my car"

I don't know, maybe it was just a typo in the letter/notice but have the correct reg on file. They will prob just send one out with the correct year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I've experience with this particular issue, though not the living outside the jurisdiction part tbf. What would happen there is you could ignore the FPN and go to court, contest it on the basis that that's not your reg/car. Most likely the garda will just say it's a typo, and apply for an amendment. It's at the judges discretion whether to grant it. D'you feel lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donalabu

What?

That what we in Donegal call our cross border visitors (Mexicans)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

geography not a strong point... what do you call Mexican visitors?

donalabu wrote: »
    That what we in Donegal call our cross border visitors (Mexicans)

Ohh ok, I'm 100% Irish beef, born n bred.

What year on a NI plate?

• Advertisement

Anyway back on topic, would the traffic Garda or whoever issues the notice in Tipp be able to send it to me without having to contact the DVA up north? Or will I get another fine up north for driving without tax up to date? Although it happened down south and I wasn't in the North at the time!

What year on a NI plate?

It's an 03

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

What year on a NI plate?

Must be English reg

Advertisement