Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge traffic delays on The Quay

Options
  • 12-08-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I can't believe motorists in Waterford are not complaining to the Council about the crazy traffic delays on The Quay, after it was turned into a 'Green Route'. It took forever to build, causing severe traffic delays and upsetting shopkeepers, several of whom lost business and had to close as a result. The 'lucky ones' just lost a lot of their income. The Council promised everything would be better when finished, but to be honest, if -like me- you have to drive in and out with your car to get to work every day it's been an absolute nightmare. On average it adds half an hour per day to commuting times, and that is before the schools are back on again. The changes to the roads and the randomly controlled traffic lights have been so badly planned, that traffic on The Quay is at a standstill most of the day, particularly during afternoons and evenings. All, if any, advantage of introducing a so called 'Green Route' have been obliterated by a huge increase of exhaust fumes of idling cars being stuck in traffic. The cycling lanes are almost unused, bus lanes used as convenient car park facilities for coaches visiting hotels and cars use them to double park. Most drivers complain to everyone but to the people that can actually do something about it. Why don't we stand up and make sure improvements are made? Whoever is responsible for 'the Green Route' should try driving from De La Salle College via Lombard Street and The Quay to Ferrybank on any weekday between 4 and 6 pm and see if they can be proud of what they created. Before the 'Green Route' cars were able to drive over the Quay with relative ease. Generally traffic moved along well, not only on The Quay but also on Lombard Street/William Street/Park Road/Bridge Street and -of course- traffic having to cross the bridge. I call upon people in Waterford to contact their councillors and demand improvements are made, i.e. changing the right of way rules for cars exiting the car parks and introducing 'green waves' for traffic lights. In Europe you see that term being used for traffic lights that are timed to give green lights for a certain route as long as the cars drive at the recommended speed. Let's try to get the traffic in town moving again!

Comments

Advertisement