Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EVSE Cabling.

Options
  • 12-08-2016 11:35am

We could be moving house in the next couple of months and I would like to know if there is a way to cable to the ESB meter box rather than the consumer unit ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

We could be moving house in the next couple of months and I would like to know if there is a way to cable to the ESB meter box rather than the consumer unit ?

Depends on the meter. Some have an accessible unsealed isolation switch as part of the meter that allows you to turn off the power on the consumer side.
    If you are swapping to the night meter you can specifically request a meter like that (though make sure you repeat the request to the installer they send out).

That's what I did. After the meter was changed I then added an intermediate IP67 short-depth box in between the existing consumer unit and the new meter. That's where I split power for the chargepoints and that's where I'll be feeding in power from the inverter for my new solar/battery system.
    I also left enough room in the box to be able to move to a 3-phase supply/chargepoints and inverter in the future.

Cheers, yes we'd have to change the meter to a day/night.

Advertisement