Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Gaming PC

Options
  • 12-08-2016 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads. Looking to build a PC for some gaming as cheap as possible.
    I dont need a powerhouse. I generally just play strategy games which are never too demanding

1. What is your budget? 600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - Sword coast legends, Master of Orion, X-Com

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have a new 256gb SSD to use as the main drive, just need a 1tb secondary drive

5. Do you need a monitor? No - playing on a TV that i have

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? using a 32 inch tv to play

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and Mouse, preferably wireless

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should be able to build it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭IRAC War

Look at something i5 based. Don't go mad on the mainboard a H110 or B150 chipset is fine, same for the PSU 500w is plenty if you buy a decent one like one from EVGA or a seasonic.

GPU wise the RX470 or 480 will be fine. Don't underestimate how CPU hungry modern strat games are.

I'd post you a build but I still can't post links despite being over 25 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

i5-6400 - €175
    Stock CPU Cooler - €0
    Mobo B150 - €85
    RAM 8gb DDR4 2133MHz - €35
    GPU RX 460 - €125/€150 (2GB/4GB)
    PSU 500W - €60
    1TB HDD - €50
    Case - €50

Total = €580/€605 (depending on variant of GPU)
    Purchase components from Mindfactory.de, purchase case from amazon.co.uk, GPU probably purchase from overclockers.co.uk

Xenoronin wrote: »
    i5-6400 - €175
    Stock CPU Cooler - €0
    Mobo B150 - €85
    RAM 8gb DDR4 2133MHz - €35
    GPU RX 460 - €125/€150 (2GB/4GB)
    PSU 500W - €60
    1TB HDD - €50
    Case - €50

Total = €580/€605 (depending on variant of GPU)
    Purchase components from Mindfactory.de, purchase case from amazon.co.uk, GPU probably purchase from overclockers.co.uk

Great build apart from don't go with the 2GB version, they're starting to have issues with some of the detail levels even at 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Cheers for the fast reply lads.
    A mate just offered me a gtx 750ti for 80 euro. Worth it or go for a newer card?

Personally I'd also suffer not having the hard drive for a bit and really push for a 470/480 if I could. There is a massive difference between the GPUs with the Rx460 being based on Polaris 11 with only 14 compute units. The Rx470 hax 32 - a massive step up.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    Cheers for the fast reply lads.
    A mate just offered me a gtx 750ti for 80 euro. Worth it or go for a newer card?

It'd be an okay stop gap, especially if you're playing mainly older games. There isn't a huge amount of difference (c. 33%) between a 750ti and an RX460. On more modern games the 2GB on either card will be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The 2gb version will be fine, and a 750Ti will fly in the games you want.

750Ti for €80 isn't exceptional value though, considering the likes of 290s go for a little over €100 and are much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'd haggle him down a bit on the 750TI and go with that. Or since it's a friend, 80 isn't exactly breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

RX460 is much faster than 750Ti and massively so in DX12. So I'd just shell out the extra €35 for one of those rather than a 2nd hand 750Ti even though €80 is a reasonable enough price. Also, just because a few people sold their 290's for super low prices doesn't make it the normal price - the average selling price of a 2nd hand 290 is still around €160-180 overall. I agree though when you've the budget you might as well get an RX470. You can just add an internal or external storage drive at a later time if it absolutely can't go over 600.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I'd haggle him down a bit on the 750TI and go with that. Or since it's a friend, 80 isn't exactly breaking the bank.

Something like this would be miles better for not too much more:

http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/gigabyte-windforce-r9-280x-hd7970-3gb-oc-graphics-card-gv-r797oc-3gd/11083918

TBH the 750ti has had it's day; even if you are only playing less demanding games. Always nice to have some headroom. You'll get another year or two out of a 7970 for most games easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I bought a 750ti after spending weeks waiting for the release date of the rx460 to be announced! Was announced the day after i ordered!

Stuck with the order though, which was fine until i couldnt fit it in the case as the cooler wouldnt clear the edge of the case (slidey in motherboard tray thingy).

Dremel junior hacksaw time! Worked out fine, aluminium was pretty easy to cut it turns out, the cut is not visible either, covered by the pci slot surround when the tray was slid back into the case.

The issue with the cheap 290s is they tend to be blower style boards and they are bloody loud and hot.

While there is a massive difference between a 460 and a 750 in terms of % we're talking a dozen or so FPS if you want the detail cranked up. If you can get your mate to come down a bit and the budget it tight I still say go for it as long as you're willing to save a bit and then sell it on and buy a 470. These things have a floor price and you could probably get €30 for a 4870 these days still, you should be able to resell a 750ti in a few months for €50.

The issue these days is the 2GB more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Lads, chers for all the savage replies!

Had a look over the budget and i can stretch it to about 680 euro so should be able to pickup a better GPU.

Goping to look now at exactly where to buy what. Shipping costs from multiple vendors may complicate it though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€119.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€56.06 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€36.82 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€64.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: 4096MB Sapphire Radeon RX 470 Nitro+ Aktiv (€224.44 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€44.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€44.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €590.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-12 13:25 CEST+0200

Example build.
    Sapphire or MSI RX 470 dual-fan is my recommendation; though you can go RX 480 8Gb for a bit more.

Crucial MX300 275Gb for €75.55 is a good SSD which can complement or replace the HDD suggested.

I would just push it for the i5 personally - I love strategy games and the CPU can be an issue. You'll just squeak in over your budget but you might be able to save a bit on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

IRAC War wrote: »
    I would just push it for the i5 personally - I love strategy games and the CPU can be an issue. You'll just squeak in over your budget but you might be able to save a bit on the case.

Most games, I'd say the i3's Hyper Threading will prevent total bogdown.

I'd rather have the GPU grunt.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Most games, I'd say the i3's Hyper Threading will prevent total bogdown.

I'd rather have the GPU grunt.

For the type of games the OP is playing he needs a good balance. My 4970K bottlenecks my 1080 in Warhammer :( Hopefully once the DX12 implementation is out of beta things will be better!

Advertisement