Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRW/DOE for camper

Options
  • 12-08-2016 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I recently bought a camper that has not had a CRW/DOe test since September 9th 2013. If i bring the camper to be tested before the 9th of September how long of a certificate will be issued for. Will it be issued for 12 months or should i wait till after th 9th of september.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

poiedrws wrote: »
    I recently bought a camper that has not had a CRW/DOe test since September 9th 2013. If i bring the camper to be tested before the 9th of September how long of a certificate will be issued for. Will it be issued for 12 months or should i wait till after th 9th of september.

When did the last CRW expire?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

New owner is only responsible for tests and doe's since the registration of his ownership
    surely.

kadman wrote: »
    New owner is only responsible for tests and doe's since the registration of his ownership
    surely.

No.
    It doesn't work like the motor tax system.

No.
    It doesn't work like the motor tax system.

So how does the new owner get to be responsible for test certs for a previous owner??

kadman wrote: »
    So how does the new owner get to be responsible for test certs for a previous owner??

They should be sure the vehicle has a certain before buying it.
    If your vehicles CRW expired a month ago and you pass a test today....you will receive an CRW that is valid for 11 months.....

If it expired 11 months ago and you pass a test today you will receive a CRW that is valid for one month...you get the picture.

If the CRW expired more than 12 months ago and you pass a test today you will receive a CRW that is valid for 6 months.

• Advertisement

They should be sure the vehicle has a certain before buying it.
    If your vehicles CRW expired a month ago and you pass a test today....you will receive an CRW that is valid for 11 months.....

If it expired 11 months ago and you pass a test today you will receive a CRW that is valid for one month...you get the picture.

If the CRW expired more than 12 months ago and you pass a test today you will receive a CRW that is valid for 6 months.

So if the previous owner had a prosecution for no test cert/or accident during that time...........does the new owner and cert, back dated to when the previous owner had no cert, then miraculously wipe away his criminal prosecution..

What if it was sorned during the previous owners time, so its off the road then for that period, when does the new owners cert start then?

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The cert is linked to the vehicle not the owner, so the vehicle still needs to be tested regardless as was said above. So if you buy a vehicle that hasn't been tested in years it still needs to be tested as if the ownership hadn't changed. It's not like motor tax.

*Kol* wrote: »
    The cert is linked to the vehicle not the owner, so the vehicle still needs to be tested regardless as was said above. So if you buy a vehicle that hasn't been tested in years it still needs to be tested as if the ownership hadn't changed. It's not like motor tax.

Not disputing what is. I know, I own a vw camper.

Just posing the question, as to how retrospective testing from the new owner, should in theory , if its backdated, cover any previous no test fines the previous owner had.

I know all the motoring tests, ncts, etc have their own little ambiguities, and we all end up paying one way or another, or both:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

.................................... If the CRW expired more than 12 months ago and you pass a test today you will receive a CRW that is valid for 6 months.

This is a serious rip off penalty with nothing to do with road worthiness and which penalises the buyers of vehicles over which they had no control regarding its test history.

If a vehicle passes the test there is no safety related reason why it should be required to be tested again just because its previous test had run out.

The test is the test and if it's good to give one vehicle a 12 month cert then it should be good to give all vehicles a 12 month cert irrespective of the vehicles test history.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    .................................... If the CRW expired more than 12 months ago and you pass a test today you will receive a CRW that is valid for 6 months.

This is a serious rip off penalty with nothing to do with road worthiness and which penalises the buyers of vehicles over which they had no control regarding its test history.

If a vehicle passes the test there is no safety related reason why it should be required to be tested again just because its previous test had run out.

The test is the test and if it's good to give one vehicle a 12 month cert then it should be good to give all vehicles a 12 month cert irrespective of the vehicles test history.

Its not penalising the buyer. Its for the safety of the vehicle. I want to offer you another theory regarding this scenario. Its there to ensure that systems that have potentially not been used for years (and may pass a test now) will not be fit for purpose for the duration of the 12 months normal test period. I am just offering that as a potential reason and a valid reason perhaps? Obviously the shorter the overrun of the expiry the less this applies. What i mean is a MH could pass today after not being tested for years, but the subsequent 6 months of usage could highlight deficiencies that would not have been apparent. You could argue that these deficiencies would not have emerged even within the 12 month period but you cannot know for sure. As with all these tests they need to err to the side of safety. It is unlikely to be designed to rip off the consumer.

• Advertisement

Its not penalising the buyer. Its for the safety of the vehicle. I want to offer you another theory regarding this scenario. Its there to ensure that systems that have potentially not been used for years (and may pass a test now) will not be fit for purpose for the duration of the 12 months normal test period. I am just offering that as a potential reason and a valid reason perhaps? Obviously the shorter the overrun of the expiry the less this applies. What i mean is a MH could pass today after not being tested for years, but the subsequent 6 months of usage could highlight deficiencies that would not have been apparent. You could argue that these deficiencies would not have emerged even within the 12 month period but you cannot know for sure. As with all these tests they need to err to the side of safety. It is unlikely to be designed to rip off the consumer.

Can't agree kol,

The test is supposed to be identify any component not operating within manufacturers specification and the RSA's own list of stuff too.
    Your argument applies to ALL vehicles tested because ANY vehicle can develop a fault within days of passing a test and here's a true case.

My own car a Volvo S40 went through its NCT in 2014, withing one week and less than 60 miles later a brake pipe which passed muster failed and need to be replaced. On Thursday of this week it was in for it's annual service and two of the items replaced were subject to the NCT test which the car passed on the 28th. March this year, that's 19 weeks after the test was passed and the car had travelled 3,000 miles since the test.

So, we are in agreement on one point that, if a vehicle passes it only means it's roadworthy on that day, but ANY vehicle can develop an issue a day, a week, a month, six months, after the test and that's is my reasoning behind my opinion that the six month cert is a scam or a penalty for a late test.

Remember the six month rule also applied to an import which could arrive here with a recent EU Road worthiness Certificate from another EU country, figure that.

Also, the rule doesn't apply to vehicles tested in the NCT system. I think it's another case of the RSA loading commercial customers with charges which they (VAT registered businesses) are not sensitive to because they can pass them on to their clients and customers in their prices/charges, which we the consumer ultimately pay.
    However, we don't have that luxury as we have to pay all the RSA charges and levies out of hard earned after tax income.

A fair point. I had a similar situation with a fuel line a few weeks after passing the NCT.

There should be a distinction between private and commercial users when charging for the test. Now that you have highlighted that I have another reason to be annoyed with the RSA!!

A fair point. I had a similar situation with a fuel line a few weeks after passing the NCT.

There should be a distinction between private and commercial users when charging for the test. Now that you have highlighted that I have another reason to be annoyed with the RSA!!

And here's another reason to be annoyed.
    Example: FIAT Doblo as a car tested at an NCT centre costs €55 but but convert it to a motorhome and you must take it to a CVRT centre and you get charged €93.16
    and THE BASE VEHICLE IS THE SAME and it's still a private passenger vehicle of EU Vehicle Category M1 :confused: :rolleyes:

Advertisement