Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Untaxed car.. how long would it take?

Options
  • 11-08-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hello!

I'm heading to Scotland next week to collect a car. I checked online and the tax was due to be paid on it on July 22nd this year. I have two questions. 1. Can it be done in 1 (or 2) day(s)? 2. Do I have to do it or can the garage do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the car on UK or Irish plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Metalrobe

Tunage wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm heading to Scotland next week to collect a car. I checked online and the tax was due to be paid on it on July 22nd this year. I have two questions. 1. Can it be done in 1 (or 2) day(s)? 2. Do I have to do it or can the garage do it?

Thanks

Ya the garage can just go to the post office and tax it straight away. Im sure their is an online facility also.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

biko wrote: »
    Is the car on UK or Irish plates?

On UK plates but bringing it back to Northern Ireland.

Metalrobe wrote: »
    Ya the garage can just go to the post office and tax it straight away. Im sure their is an online facility also.

Thanks Metalrobe. Just hoping it would be that quick if the car was registered as off the road as I have the ferry booked and would rather not have any hassle when I get there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hello!

Thanks

Tax expiry date is irrelevant, when you purchase a UK vehicle it is not longer taxed even if it has current tax on it.

You can tax online at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax or over the phone to the DVLA on 0300 123 4321. My understanding was only a UK addressee could use the online V5C/2 but correspondence from the DVLA states an Irish owner can do so but if you are bringing it to the North I assume you have a UK address.

Thanks Metalrobe. Just hoping it would be that quick if the car was registered as off the road as I have the ferry booked and would rather not have any hassle when I get there

But why would you register it off the road when your driving it to NI? Or do you mean it's currently SORNd, if so and your the new owner then the SORN ends when a vehicle is sold. If it's already yours and you have it currently SORNd then the SORN ends immediately when you tax it.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    Tax expiry date is irrelevant, when you purchase a UK vehicle it is not longer taxed even if it has current tax on it.

You can tax online at www.gov.uk/vehicletax or over the phone to the DVLA on 0300 123 4321. My understanding was only a UK addressee could use the online V5C/2 but correspondence from the DVLA states an Irish owner can do so but if you are bringing it to the North I assume you have a UK address.

But why would you register it off the road when your driving it to NI?

I didn't register it off road, I'm presuming that it has been because it has no tax since July? Anyway, I'll get on to the garage tomorrow to tax it for me.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I didn't register it off road, I'm presuming that it has been because it has no tax since July? Anyway, I'll get on to the garage tomorrow to tax it for me.

Thanks!

As far as you would be concerned it dosn't really matter if it was registered off road or not as any SORN (and any valid tax) ends automatically upon sale of the vehicle.

Also something to note that if you have a NI address you can only tax at a relevant post office and you need to prove the vehicle is insured first according to the DVLA.

GM228 wrote: »
    As far as you would be concerned it dosn't really matter if it was registered off road or not as any SORN (and any valid tax) ends automatically upon sale of the vehicle.

Also something to note that if you have a NI address you can only tax at a relevant post office and you need to prove the vehicle is insured first according to the DVLA.

I plan on doing all that tomorrow or I can just tax it myself on Monday

Advertisement