Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge for blood tests on medical card

Options
  • 11-08-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Does the medical card not cover blood tests anymore? I got routine bloods done by my GP, at her recommendation, and she informed me afterwards that there's a charge of €20 now. Anytime I've gotten them done before they've been free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I think the €20 is a courier fee

my understand is Kathleen Lynch address this last year however my GP charges people with a medical card for the courier service to bring them to the lab.

Theres a sign up in reception though so you know in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The GP cannot charge for a blood test. If you've been charged, inform the GP that you want a refund or progress the complaint to the HSE for a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Sorry to hijack the thread but can a doctor ask you to pay towards the contraceptive bar (implanon) procedure? It used to be all free on the medical card but at my last one, they charged me €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Monife wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but can a doctor ask you to pay towards the contraceptive bar (implanon) procedure? It used to be all free on the medical card but at my last one, they charged me €50.

I got mine for free a few weeks ago, I had to go to a different clinic to my main one but it was totally free. (bar the 2.50 prescription charge).

January wrote: »
    I got mine for free a few weeks ago, I had to go to a different clinic to my main one but it was totally free. (bar the 2.50 prescription charge).

My GP doesn't do it so I had to go to the Well Woman Clinic, are they allowed charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I really don't know, sorry!

Monife wrote: »
    My GP doesn't do it so I had to go to the Well Woman Clinic, are they allowed charge?

For anyone else who wondered if GP's/Clinics can charge for inserting/removing the implanon, I phoned the HSE info line and they said that they can charge.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

snubbleste wrote: »
    The GP cannot charge for a blood test. If you've been charged, inform the GP that you want a refund or progress the complaint to the HSE for a refund

Can you cite the authority for this please ?

I am not challenging you but just want to get the point straight as I have quite a few elderly relatives who are all on the GP only card but practice on charging for bloods varies.

For one relative I just tell them to get the G.P. to fill out the request form for bloods. They ring SVUH for an appointment for bloods and I drive them down to St. Vincent's to get it done - the only cost is the car park. Unfortunately, this option is not available to all especially if you are in rural Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The GP doesn't get reimbursed for the courier costs of getting the test to the hospital.
    Are those aggrieved at a charge seriously thinking the GP should bear the cost of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Kathleen Lynch (Cork North Central, Labour)
    Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source
    I thank the Deputy for raising this issue. While most GPs provide phlebotomy services for their medical card and GP visit card patients without charge, I am aware that there have been instances where some GPs have charged such patients for these services. It is not acceptable for patients in these categories to be subject to a charge for procedures associated with routine diagnosis and treatment.
    The HSE, as the body which contracts GPs for the provision of services for GMS and GP visit card patients, has written on a number of occasions to contract holders, most recently in March 2014, clarifying the position on phlebotomy services. All written complaints about GPs charging for such services have been investigated by the HSE. In any case where a patient has been charged by his or her GP for phlebotomy services, the HSE will, where appropriate, arrange for a refund of the amount concerned.
    The Department of Health and the HSE are cognisant of the need for a new agreed contract with GPs that will help modernise the health service and develop a strengthened primary care sector. Negotiations are under way with the Irish Medical Organisation. The appropriate arrangements for phlebotomy services and to deal with differences of interpretation will be considered in this context. The process also provides an opportunity to ensure maximum clarity on the scope and nature of the service to be provided, including the taking of blood for diagnostic purposes or in connection with the treatment or monitoring of an ongoing condition. Notwithstanding these engagements, the contractual position is as outlined by the Deputy and the HSE has and will continue to take action where medical card or GP visit card patients are charged inappropriately.
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2015-12-03a.98
    Nothing seems to have happened to bring more clarity to this situation since the above, so it should still stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

You can always tell your GP to send you to hospital for bloods, where it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Bloods are not covered under the GMS contract. Most surgeries have a notice up to say the same.
    The HSE have to provide the service free of charge. They do so at the local hospital.
    That said some GPs still do it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Bloods are not covered under the GMS contract. Most surgeries have a notice up to say the same.
    The HSE have to provide the service free of charge. They do so at the local hospital.
    That said some GPs still do it for free

Phlebotomy is covered to diagnose or to monitor a condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Sorry should have been clearer. You are correct but routine bloods are not.
    At least that is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The 'entitlement brigade' are unleashed yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There is a lot more coming down the line aswell. No one reads the budgetary documentation at budget time, or policy and strategic plans, they just watch rte or read the tabloids, bar boring me.

Plentymore coming down the line folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

My mother has a medical card and her GP is trying to charge her for blood tests.
    I thought blood tests were free for medical card holders.
    Is every GP charging for blood tests now or is it just some GPs and is this supposed to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

quinnd6 wrote: »
    My mother has a medical card and her GP is trying to charge her for blood tests.
    I thought blood tests were free for medical card holders.
    Is every GP charging for blood tests now or is it just some GPs and is this supposed to happen?

Got mine done yesterday ,no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

They sent her the bill in the post.
    Maybe you didn't get the bill yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

quinnd6 wrote: »
    They sent her the bill in the post.
    Maybe you didn't get the bill yet.

Had blood tests 3 months ago ,wasnt charged then either,if i was been charged it would have been requested at the reception as i was leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

If someone has to go to nurse at local GP to get reqular blood tests (once a month) to monitor a condition and also has to go to get a weekly injection adminisitered. Would a medical card cover these would anyone one

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Berberis wrote: »
    If someone has to go to nurse at local GP to get reqular blood tests (once a month) to monitor a condition and also has to go to get a weekly injection adminisitered. Would a medical card cover these would anyone one

Depends on the surgery I get charged for bloods and injections for iron levels usually because it's the nurse at the surgery that takes blood and administers injections

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Had blood tests 3 months ago ,wasnt charged then either,if i was been charged it would have been requested at the reception as i was leaving.

I don't get charged in my GP's for blood tests (Tallaght) and never have. Did get charged for flu jab though but since Asthma diagnosis, I now don't. They have started to charge for 24 Hour BP monitoring though but have signs up all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

I think if you go to your local hospital the blood tests are carried out for free but the GP may charge to have the blood sent to the hospital by courier. My old GP used to do the tests cheaper if you brought the blood vials to the hospital yourself.

Our local GP allows one free routine blood test a year for Medical Card Holders. Charges then depend on illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 QuestionHere

Our local GP allows one free routine blood test a year for Medical Card Holders. Charges then depend on illness.

Charges also depend on whether you are seen by the nurse or the doctor for them, what they are for, if they are considered emergency & what they are for. I was given a choice of go to the hospital ( free) ir get it done there & then by the doctor (20) or come back & make a appointment for the nurse in 10 days time ( might be dead!) . It does depend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I had my bloods done a fortnight ago. Diagnostic purposes. No charge whatsoever. My mother got diagnostic bloods done last week and is now on monthly B12 injections - no charge there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

If you have a medical card should you be charged or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

April1 wrote: »

You need to speak to the GP. Most GPs are charging now for blood tests, Medical Card or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

April1 wrote: »
    You always have the option of asking the GP to refer you to the local hospital to have the bloods taken and tested there for free.

Advertisement