Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lenovo laptop hinge breaking

Options
  • 11-08-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with there lenovo laptop hardware. My laptop (Ideapad U330) is two years old and it broke a few months back along the bottom of the hinge. It came apart by literally opening the screen to use the laptop? It cracked and screws broke through the plastic frame at the bottom left hand corner. Seems to me like a manufacturers fault?

I returned it and they are asking for £262 to repair the plastic surrounding when the laptop cost me €450? Seems completely madness to me that a laptop isn't capable of been opened without the risk of it breaking? Has this only happened to me or has others have the same problem with their Lenovos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You cant prove you didnt weaken it by carrying by the screen as so many do so it'd be hard case to fight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Worth googling around to find others with the same issue... a very quick google throws up:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-u330-Touch-broken-hinge/td-p/2044655

I'd say you will have to fight hard to win this one. Where did you buy it? You should really be going through them for warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thereddaly

Worth googling around to find others with the same issue... a very quick google throws up:

Yeah I understand that. Awh it's a nightmare.. can't close the screen now or anything. I have been arguing with them but only through emails. Couldn't get a number to call.
    Bought it off the lenovo website. It only had one year warranty. I wouldn't mind if I wasn't looking after it but I was minding it so much and to break so simple like it did it very frustrating. I just can't justify paying well over half the price of the laptop.

Anyone go to individual repair shops? Might go and see what they could do with it.

Also read somewhere there that under EU law I should have 2 year warranty. Can any confirm that or how do I go about using that information? I googling it there but couldn't find anything that exactly says that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

thereddaly wrote: »
    Also read somewhere there that under EU law I should have 2 year warranty. Can any confirm that or how do I go about using that information? I googling it there but couldn't find anything that exactly says that.

Contact the ECC. They may be able to advise.

• Advertisement

Kept at them. Sending emails saying I found loads people online who had same problem with same model and then mentioned the 2 year warranty as well. Got back to me today saying they will repair it under warranty. Don't know what it was that made them do that but made my day!! Thanks for the gen on EU warranty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

thereddaly wrote: »
    Kept at them. Sending emails saying I found loads people online who had same problem with same model and then mentioned the 2 year warranty as well. Got back to me today saying they will repair it under warranty. Don't know what it was that made them do that but made my day!! Thanks for the gen on EU warranty.

Great to hear, and thanks for keeping us posted. You must let us know how things go from here!

Got the laptop back today. Have to say it is like a brand new laptop. Hinge and plastic over cover all replaced all under warranty. Free delivery also. I'm very impressed with how the repair centre dealt with me alfairness to them!

Advertisement