Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Innohep and pregnancy

Options
  • 11-08-2016 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of being on Innohep during pregnancy?
    I had a blood clot in my lung back in February so have been on the injections since. So when I found out I was pregnant they said I would stay on the injections for the rest of the pregnancy and six weeks after. But they have also told me that I will more than likely not be able to get an epidural during labour. It needs to be at least 12 hours or something since the last injection before you get the epidural so it will be hard to time. Anyway I can cope with that......I think. :(
    But now I'm worried about whether or not I'll be able to go natural or will I need a section and how big the risk of bleeding is. I'm only 11 weeks now so I'll be able to talk to my consultant about it but just wondering if anyone has any experience of it.
    Also......as your bump grows does it get difficult to find places to inject into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

dreamstar wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of being on Innohep during pregnancy?
    I had a blood clot in my lung back in February so have been on the injections since. So when I found out I was pregnant they said I would stay on the injections for the rest of the pregnancy and six weeks after. But they have also told me that I will more than likely not be able to get an epidural during labour. It needs to be at least 12 hours or something since the last injection before you get the epidural so it will be hard to time. Anyway I can cope with that......I think. :(
    But now I'm worried about whether or not I'll be able to go natural or will I need a section and how big the risk of bleeding is. I'm only 11 weeks now so I'll be able to talk to my consultant about it but just wondering if anyone has any experience of it.
    Also......as your bump grows does it get difficult to find places to inject into?

Hi dreamstar, I am on innohep too, such a pain isn't it? Literally! I had read a few short pieces about no epidural etc but wasn't sure how real they were, so your consultant has confirmed it? Oh no, don't like the sound of that! What is making you think the chances of a section is more likely, what else do i not know?

I find that injecting my sides is easier than towards the front of my tummy, I hope some fat will still be left there to inject into but it might be hard to see around nd the side of the bump! Ah! I have also read about people injecting into their leg but that sounds awful!

Anyway, I too would be interested in reading answers to your questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

greenttc wrote: »
    Hi dreamstar, I am on innohep too, such a pain isn't it? Literally! I had read a few short pieces about no epidural etc but wasn't sure how real they were, so your consultant has confirmed it? Oh no, don't like the sound of that! What is making you think the chances of a section is more likely, what else do i not know?

I find that injecting my sides is easier than towards the front of my tummy, I hope some fat will still be left there to inject into but it might be hard to see around nd the side of the bump! Ah! I have also read about people injecting into their leg but that sounds awful!

Anyway, I too would be interested in reading answers to your questions!

Oh I know greenttc - they are so annoying. And the bruising can be just awful. Now don't panic because I've just read online that they are more likely to section so that they can control bleeding but again like you, I don't know how accurate that it. My worry is that if there is a bleed during labour - how dangerous is it for me. So I just have all of these questions for my next visit. She had said that if I end up needing to be induced that they can control when I get the innohep so they could possibly time it so that I can have the epidural. But if I go into labour myself it would be less likely. :(

Oh so you don't HAVE to inject in the tummy - you can do the sides. Well even that is reassuring because when bump appears there won't be much flab to pinch! :D

How far along are you? Do they have you with a haematologist too?

I am 15 weeks. I actually started out with the front of tummy at the start but the haematology nurse jacinta ( you are in holles Street to so i am sure you have met her) told me to stick to the sides and it was great advice, I don't think it is as sore and still bruises but not as much( or maybe I am just getting better!). I have an appointment soon to and will meet the consultant again so will ask all these questions too, I suppose whatever they tell us it's not like it will change anything but at least we can be prepared!

I think.there are lots of people on blood thinners so they will be used to managing blood loss, maybe they will just give a shot of vitamin k like they would if you were on warfarin? Dunno!

I am 15 weeks. I actually started out with the front of tummy at the start but the haematology nurse jacinta ( you are in holles Street to so i am sure you have met her) told me to stick to the sides and it was great advice, I don't think it is as sore and still bruises but not as much( or maybe I am just getting better!). I have an appointment soon to and will meet the consultant again so will ask all these questions too, I suppose whatever they tell us it's not like it will change anything but at least we can be prepared!

I think.there are lots of people on blood thinners so they will be used to managing blood loss, maybe they will just give a shot of vitamin k like they would if you were on warfarin? Dunno!

Ah yeah I've met Jacinta alright. That's so funny - she's lovely. So are you under Dr. Murphy there? I'm a bit behind you but have been in the clinic LOADS because of my history. It's a mad place isn't it? :)

Which consultant are you under then? I have Dr. McAuliffe. She seems very nice.

dreamstar wrote: »
    Ah yeah I've met Jacinta alright. That's so funny - she's lovely. So are you under Dr. Murphy there? I'm a bit behind you but have been in the clinic LOADS because of my history. It's a mad place isn't it? :)

Which consultant are you under then? I have Dr. McAuliffe. She seems very nice.
    Yep, karen Murphy is my haematologist, I had known her before from Vincents which was nice. I had a clot too!

Yeah I am with Prof mc cauliffe but haven't met her! Well I am fairly sure the person I met wasnt her anyway! Have been in twice so far and in again next week, one of the visits was just with jacinta though to sort out thinners at 7 weeks. Hope I see prof mcc at my next visit, I have a few questions! The person I saw last time was a bit..i dont know, quiet or something! Didn't have confidence in her to ask her questions.

The place is totally mental, not sure where i am supposed to go at all or How the quickest way to move through it all is! I am sure i will learn in time! I am so used to being in hospitals for other things and I usually know the system and am looked after really well, the care in hollew Street was good but I just felt like one of the masses a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

hi ladies just to jump in here, as your bump progresses you can also inject in to your thighs, I had to have innohep for last week of my pregnancy and injected in my thighs. I was induced so could plan not to take the innohep before going in so I got an epidural!

greenttc wrote:
    The place is totally mental, not sure where i am supposed to go at all or How the quickest way to move through it all is! I am sure i will learn in time! I am so used to being in hospitals for other things and I usually know the system and am looked after really well, the care in hollew Street was good but I just felt like one of the masses a bit!

Yeah I'm well used to hospitals too ...... Unfortunately. I met Dr McAuliffe - she seems nice - for the two minutes I saw her anyway. :-) But the place is busy. The first time I was in a wrong que and was there ages. But you get the hang of the place. I'm not back until the end of September now.

Can I ask what kind of clot you had? I had a DVT that got to my lungs. Couldn't believe it!

ainy wrote:
    hi ladies just to jump in here, as your bump progresses you can also inject in to your thighs, I had to have innohep for last week of my pregnancy and injected in my thighs. I was induced so could plan not to take the innohep before going in so I got an epidural!

Oooh that's good to know. So there weren't any issues with your labour because of the innohep?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

no issues because of the innohep anyway,vaginal birth and I could have the epidural which was the main thing for me. Once there is a 12 hour gap from when you've had it until labour it should be fine. so obviously if you're at home and start with contractions I wouldnt take the injection from then on to be sure! oh I am a nurse so have a good understanding of the injections but obviously you should talk to your doctors to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

Great to see this post- had pe a few months after my second son. Am pregnant with number 3 amd going to epu on Friday for first scan and to discuss starting Innohep. so nervous about it. I dont mind injections just thought of doing it myself

• Advertisement

Great to see this post- had pe a few months after my second son. Am pregnant with number 3 amd going to epu on Friday for first scan and to discuss starting Innohep. so nervous about it. I dont mind injections just thought of doing it myself

Don't worry at all. Ive been on them 7 months now. You totally get used to it. It is a bit weird the first few times but after a week you won't even bat an eyelid. I promise. If you need any advice just ask!

I second Dreamstars advice, you will be grand, it defo does take a little while to get used to but once you get into a routine you will be fine and you will become a pro.

My tip is to always go for the sides of your tummy, inject right into that muffin top if you have one it is the easiest place to do it! I was covered in bruises for the first while but now I barely get any, you just get good at it. also, I do mine first thing in the morning as part of my shower/get dressed routine, that way I never forget and I dont have to think about doing it later in the day. everyone will find their own way though...

I second Dreamstars advice, you will be grand, it defo does take a little while to get used to but once you get into a routine you will be fine and you will become a pro.

My tip is to always go for the sides of your tummy, inject right into that muffin top if you have one it is the easiest place to do it! I was covered in bruises for the first while but now I barely get any, you just get good at it. also, I do mine first thing in the morning as part of my shower/get dressed routine, that way I never forget and I dont have to think about doing it later in the day. everyone will find their own way though...

Thanks greenttc and dreamstar. A bit worried tbh. As its my first pregnancy with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I found pulling the skin taunt rather than pinching a bit made it easier and left minimal bruising. It'll be second nature to you before you know it :)

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I found pulling the skin taunt rather than pinching a bit made it easier and left minimal bruising. It'll be second nature to you before you know it :)

Huh, I must give that a go Lucyfur, I always do a skin pinch and have never tried keeping it taut. will be giving that a go in the morning!

dont worry notsomindful, this is my first pregnancy too and the first time I have ever had to give myself injections, you really will be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Huh, I must give that a go Lucyfur, I always do a skin pinch and have never tried keeping it taut. will be giving that a go in the morning!

dont worry notsomindful, this is my first pregnancy too and the first time I have ever had to give myself injections, you really will be okay

Most of the IVF meds I pinched for but the innohep gave me a huge bruise whenever I injected like that!

Its my third pregnancy but first on innohep.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

I have been placed on Innohep injections now for the remainder of the pregnancy. I'm 21+4.

I'm very nervous about the birth. I had a very tough time on the birth of my first child. My GP had requested a section from early on in this pregnancy but i have been told they wouldn't be encouraging a section with being on the injections and if I do need one I'll be completely knocked out for it. The Labour without an epidural is sending me into a panic too. I know you can have one if you're off the injections for 12 hrs. So it looks like I'll be going down the induction route again once I don't go into labour myself, which I was trying to avoid as induction didn't go too well the last time.

Anyone else have anymore insight to what plan is put in place for labour. I'm with the Coombe.

scarbouro wrote:
    I'm very nervous about the birth. I had a very tough time on the birth of my first child. My GP had requested a section from early on in this pregnancy but i have been told they wouldn't be encouraging a section with being on the injections and if I do need one I'll be completely knocked out for it. The Labour without an epidural is sending me into a panic too. I know you can have one if you're off the injections for 12 hrs. So it looks like I'll be going down the induction route again once I don't go into labour myself, which I was trying to avoid as induction didn't go too well the last time.

Dont worry at all. Like You, my innohep seemed like such a big deal during the pregnancy. Like you said, once the injection isn't within 12 hours of birth you're fine. So if you have the slightest idea you're going into labour just don't take it.

My waters went at 5am Saturday morning so I stopped my injections. Had my baby boy yesterday with an epidural. Not a bother. Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Thank you dreamstar. Congratulations on the birth of your little boy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement