Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending a bike rack

Options
  • 11-08-2016 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have an Omni-bike rack (by Thule I think ?) on the back of my motorhome, like the one pictured below. It has 3 rails on it and there's no room to add a 4th, so I'd like to do a DIY job to get the extra bike up there. I can source a good strong aluminium bar thats the same diameter as the one the existing frame is made of and you can get additional rails for about €35. I'm just wondering if any of you have done a job like this before and how did you go about it?

Thanks

qsm4vo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have an Omni-bike rack (by Thule I think ?) on the back of my motorhome, like the one pictured below. It has 3 rails on it and there's no room to add a 4th, so I'd like to do a DIY job to get the extra bike up there. I can source a good strong aluminium bar thats the same diameter as the one the existing frame is made of and you can get additional rails for about €35. I'm just wondering if any of you have done a job like this before and how did you go about it?

Thanks

qsm4vo.jpg

Unless the bikes you are using are very very light I would not consider carrying four on the carrier.The back of most coach-builds are not up to taking the weight and will suffer structural damage which might not be obvious.
    It would be better to see if you can mount something from the tow ball if you have one or from the chassis.
    I has a frame like yours break carrying two mountain bikes they are not really strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭niloc1951

AFAIK four bike racks are no longer sold due to issues surrounding the capability of rear walls of motorhomes having the strength to support the total weight. There is also the question of the weight rating of the rear axle/suspension being exceeded, which is an offence which carries a fine with penalty points.
    Adding the extra weight via a tow bar mounted solution will also effect the weight carried on the read axle.

When adding weight to the rear of a vehicle with a one meter overhang the lever effect increases the weight on the rear axle by the weight added plus about 25%, and reduces the weight in the front axle by the same percentage amount as that added to the rear, this can effect steering and grip particularly on hills in wet conditions.

The best resolution may be to securely store the bike inside forward of the rear axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have a four bike rack but I rarely put four bikes on it due to the weight. It's only rated for 60kgs.

I did see a two rail rack with 4 bikes on it recently. It looked very precarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

What I use is a motorbike rack on the back of mine, they come up every once in a while second hand, I used to carry 4 bikes regularly on it and sometimes 5 when the kids were small. It is detachable for when you don't want to bring anything and save weight (slides in and out then bolted for fitting - done from the back, no going underneath). It is mounted to the chassis. Your van may or may not be suitable (weight, overhang etc) but it is an option that definitely works for 4 bikes easy. It also gives the option of carrying a scooter or small motorbike when down to 2 ... almost there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I wonder if I could use the existing bike rack with 2 or 3 bikes on it, then get something like below to add another 1 or 2 bikes. I'd need to check that there's enough height clearance between the towbar and existing carrier of course - and I'm also aware of the weight issues on the back axel already highlighted

9h5m4i.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get one of the 4 bike Towbar mounted ones from Halfords.
    I have one of them and its rock solid when tightened up even with 4 bikes on it.
    http://www.halfords.ie/camping-leisure/bike-racks/towbar-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-4-bike-tow-bar-cycle-carrier

Advertisement