Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Broadband pre-pay SIM

Options
  • 10-08-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭

Im a bit confused after looking at Broadband SIMs on the Three Website. - I was looking at this Broadband only pre-pay sim and it said €25 per month for 7.5g or €35 for 20gb

http://www.three.ie/eshop/broadband-plans/prepay-broadband/

But then I see you can get a Three 4G Pre-Pay SIM with Unlimited Data and texts for €20 per month with all you can eat data - so why would a person go for the other one?

http://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/3pay-trio-sim/priceplan/

What am I missing here? - seems confusing.

And would both types wok in a B310 Huawei wireless Router OK?

Plus How much is a B310 Huawei wireless Router cost does anyone know please? I can only find 3G routers on their website up to 5 devices or 1 device 3G Dongle. the B310 Huawei wireless Router is 4G and can run up to 21 devices.

Many thanks for help

EDIT: Blimey not to worry I just see its a B315 Router priced from €139.99 ... well I wont be getting one of those then! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Im a bit confused after looking at Broadband SIMs on the Three Website. - I was looking at this Broadband only pre-pay sim and it said €25 per month for 7.5g or €35 for 20gb

http://www.three.ie/eshop/broadband-plans/prepay-broadband/

But then I see you can get a Three 4G Pre-Pay SIM with Unlimited Data and texts for €20 per month with all you can eat data - so why would a person go for the other one?

http://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/3pay-trio-sim/priceplan/

What am I missing here? - seems confusing.

And would both types wok in a B310 Huawei wireless Router OK?

Plus How much is a B310 Huawei wireless Router cost does anyone know please? I can only find 3G routers on their website up to 5 devices or 1 device 3G Dongle. the B310 Huawei wireless Router is 4G and can run up to 21 devices.

Many thanks for help

EDIT: Blimey not to worry I just see its a B315 Router priced from €139.99 ... well I wont be getting one of those then! :eek:

The fact is that the 20 euro prepay sim will work in a router guaranteed although it is against there t&cs .. And Regarding the router for 139.99 thats not exspensive i paid 220 for mine if you want a good router that is 4g then you will be paying for it .. 140 is a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you compare €20/mo to €40-60/mo for the alternative then a decent 4G modem pays for itself rather quickly.

B315 is a poor investment if this will be your primary connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

How about a scenario of an old unlocked 4G mobile phone in the hallway and a €20 per month three SIM and set the phone to WiFi hotspot / WiFi tethering ? Would I be breaking anny T&Cs there. They do say that its unlimited or all you can eat 4G data. Also doing this way how many devices can you have running off a WiFi tethered connection like this? Thanks.

How about a scenario of an old unlocked 4G mobile phone in the hallway and a €20 per month three SIM and set the phone to WiFi hotspot / WiFi tethering ? Would I be breaking anny T&Cs there. They do say that its unlimited or all you can eat 4G data. Also doing this way how many devices can you have running off a WiFi tethered connection like this? Thanks.

Yes you would be its all the same setup .. You would be breaking T&Cs still what are three gonna do about it ? What can they do ?

Either you pay €35 for 20GB or €20 for unlimted and break the terms. Doesnt matter how you do it, you're breaking the terms.

Since AYCE has come in a few years back theyve never enforced the rule. They know whats going on when one sim uses 600GB, its not youtube on the bus. If they decide to enforce it tomorrow they could terminate the account, but so what, its PAYG.

• Advertisement

confused:confused: - how are you breaking the rules if its unlimited 'all you can eat Data' unlimited surely means unlimited or is there even a 'fair use' rule even on unlimted???

confused:confused: - how are you breaking the rules if its unlimited 'all you can eat Data' unlimited surely means unlimited or is there even a 'fair use' rule even on unlimted???

Because the prepay sim is for handset (ONLY) .. The Prepay Broadband Sim can be used in a (ROUTER) . Its against their T&Cs to use the Prepay Sim in a Router and it may be (Disabled) according to their Terms

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Because the prepay sim is for handset (ONLY) .. The Prepay Broadband Sim can be used in a (ROUTER) . Its against their T&Cs to use the Prepay Sim in a Router and it may be (Disabled) according to their Terms

ah right thank you robbie - I didnt know that . I didnt know you couldnt use a pre-pay handeset SIM in a Router, I thought all their SIMS where the same, seeing as a pre-pay SIM fits in a Router and looks identical.

That teach me to read T&C's but theu are so long winded and small writing and I have poor eyesight for small writing and short attention span :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

A family member looking to sign up to 3 Broadband was quietly sold the €20/month PAYG deal in a 3 store recently :)
    Even better, the rep recommended he make a call or two on the SIM before using it in the router as apparently these initial calls would flag it as a mobile SIM on Three's system

As above, the PAYG SIM's can be used in a router or in a handset as a WiFi Hotspot... but it's against their T&C's. They offer "all you can eat" data on their PAYG accounts which was initially fair-usage up to 15GB / month and is now raised to 60GB / month if I'm not mistaken. They reserve the right to query or suspend your account if you are "hurting" the network to the extent that you were impacting other users

I've yet to hear of them suspending a PAYG account for this practise... I done it for years myself in fact. That said, in the UK where they have similar AYCE plans, they straight-out block tethering on sims. As for Three Ireland... they have such a botched network that offering unlimited data to use any way you like is about the only selling point they have left. Were they to restrict it, I'd imagine they'd see an exodus of customers

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

As surprising as it sounds, Three Austria's mobile broadband plans are unlimited (link), but they price their plans according to speed instead of monthly limits and it's for stationary use only, which I presume means limited to a specific cell tower. In a way this makes sense as they will know what cell areas to upgrade first. Their cheapest plan is €18/month for 10Mbps down / 4Mbps up, similar price to the €20 AYCE prepay plan and likely similar speed to what many get here.

If Three Ireland did a similar approach here, I'm sure they would have a lot more customers taking up their mobile broadband plans, especially knowing that they will not be fleeced for going over a certain amount of data. Then again, if Three did offer similar plans here, I wonder what Imagine's reaction would be... ;)

• Advertisement

They'd have to be very conservative here because outside of Dublin/Galway their cell density is just too low to meet the 40% of the nation they're servicing.

editorsean wrote: »
    As surprising as it sounds, Three Austria's mobile broadband plans are unlimited (link), but they price their plans according to speed instead of monthly limits and it's for stationary use only, which I presume means limited to a specific cell tower. In a way this makes sense as they will know what cell areas to upgrade first. Their cheapest plan is €18/month for 10Mbps down / 4Mbps up, similar price to the €20 AYCE prepay plan and likely similar speed to what many get here.

If Three Ireland did a similar approach here, I'm sure they would have a lot more customers taking up their mobile broadband plans, especially knowing that they will not be fleeced for going over a certain amount of data. Then again, if Three did offer similar plans here, I wonder what Imagine's reaction would be... ;)

I dont even think its fair that with ADSL people have to pay the same rate the further they live away from the DSLAM box and poorer rates they get. I am not too bad , I only live a short way from the box and at a good time get around 8mbps download and pay 43 a month (that includes line rental and some calls though) ... but someone quite a bit further away from the box in our village will be lucky to reach 2 or 3mbps download most times ... still has to pay €43

I dont even think its fair that with ADSL people have to pay the same rate the further they live away from the DSLAM box and poorer rates they get. I am not too bad , I only live a short way from the box and at a good time get around 8mbps download and pay 43 a month (that includes line rental and some calls though) ... but someone quite a bit further away from the box in our village will be lucky to reach 2 or 3mbps download most times ... still has to pay €43

Not the same.

It costs OpenEir more to operate that customer at 2/3Mbps. Really they should pay more for less if you were trying to be fair.

With cellular this isnt a problem. Pay per GB is the fairest as this is what really is the limiting factor on common medium systems.

ED E wrote: »
    Not the same.

It costs OpenEir more to operate that customer at 2/3Mbps. Really they should pay more for less if you were trying to be fair.

With cellular this isnt a problem. Pay per GB is the fairest as this is what really is the limiting factor on common medium systems.

OK - I concede to your knowledgeness :)

But joe public down the road dont understand about technicalities and just cannot understand that for the €43 I pay for the month I get 8mbps download , against his 2mbps download speed (if hes lucky) for the same €43 per month ... No matter how much you try to explain to him that he is further away from the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

I bought an unlocked Huawei B315 router on Amazon, and a Three Prepay sim with AYCE data for €20.
    I put the sim in the router yesterday and all worked perfectly, until I've just seen another poster mention putting the sim in a phone first to show it being used in a phone. Is it too late to do that now?? Is it necessary to do that?
    Also, I have three children, all watching videos etc so the data is being eaten up very quickly!! I have read that the limit on AYCE is 60 Gb for the month, is this correct, I can't see it lasting at the rate is being used!!!
    I hate having to monitor it all the time, us there any other option, unlimited data, on offer anywhere?
    Many Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

orlaithd12 wrote: »
    I bought an unlocked Huawei B315 router on Amazon, and a Three Prepay sim with AYCE data for €20.
    I put the sim in the router yesterday and all worked perfectly, until I've just seen another poster mention putting the sim in a phone first to show it being used in a phone. Is it too late to do that now?? Is it necessary to do that?
    Also, I have three children, all watching videos etc so the data is being eaten up very quickly!! I have read that the limit on AYCE is 60 Gb for the month, is this correct, I can't see it lasting at the rate is being used!!!
    I hate having to monitor it all the time, us there any other option, unlimited data, on offer anywhere?
    Many Thanks.

Although unofficial, AYCE = All You Can Eat = truly unlimited.
    People have pulled down over 200 GB per month with no issue.
    God bless it !!!

I'll wait so and see how it goes!!
    Should I put the sim in a phone and make a few calls, or do I need to do that??
    It's probably too late now anyway, I've been using it since yesterday!
    Any thoughts?
    Thx again.

I'll wait so and see how it goes!!
    Should I put the sim in a phone and make a few calls, or do I need to do that??
    It's probably too late now anyway, I've been using it since yesterday!
    Any thoughts?
    Thx again.
    The only time I've put mine in a phone would be to remove the SIM PIN. Haven't ever used it for calls.

Don't forget to use the 20 euros credit before it gets swallowed up at the end of the month.

I use it to buy xbox live credits here
    www.hmvgamecredits.com
    Send the text from the modem's home page or the software you're using to connect on your PC

That's okay so, I was worried that it would flag to Three, that I was using it in a router if I hadnt used it in a phone first.One last question and I'll leave you in peace!!
    I read an earlier post that said, on Google Play Store, you can use Three Pay ( which uses up your unused phone credit), to pay for apps etc there.
    What I can't work out is how you do it, as the sim is in the router????

Thanks again,
    Orlaith.

That's okay so, I was worried that it would flag to Three, that I was using it in a router if I hadnt used it in a phone first.One last question and I'll leave you in peace!!
    I read an earlier post that said, on Google Play Store, you can use Three Pay ( which uses up your unused phone credit), to pay for apps etc there.
    What I can't work out is how you do it, as the sim is in the router????

Thanks again,
    Orlaith.
    Sorry, don't know about using 3Pay for the store. I'd imagine it would have to be via a phone though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Advertisement