Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis trouble.

Options
  • 10-08-2016 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I have an 09 avensis, last few months I have this knocking sound from the left wheel when I turn left.

Mechanic has looked at it twice and ruled out CV joint, wheel bearing and track arm. He cant put his finger on what it could be.
    Buddy of mine who's a big petrol head thinks the brake disk (which have a nice step on them) and the calipers could be the problem. Also while looking at it tonight noticed the two screws at the front of the hub that lock disk in place are missing.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have an 09 avensis, last few months I have this knocking sound from the left wheel when I turn left.

Mechanic has looked at it twice and ruled out CV joint, wheel bearing and track arm. He cant put his finger on what it could be.
    Buddy of mine who's a big petrol head thinks the brake disk (which have a nice step on them) and the calipers could be the problem. Also while looking at it tonight noticed the two screws at the front of the hub that lock disk in place are missing.

Any ideas ?

Top mount bearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Top mount bearing?

I'll have a look. You've had this before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

Top mount bearing in shock top common enough in that model.. I replaced a set recently for a guy..

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

If it's definitely not the cv joint I have to go with top shock mount also

Is there away of confirming that's the problem before removing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

Easiest way is open bonnet and bounce hard on front panel on the side you think is gone, once u build up momentum it should become obvious.. Only other way really is remove and check..

Easiest way is open bonnet and bounce hard on front panel on the side you think is gone, once u build up momentum it should become obvious.. Only other way really is remove and check..

Ill give that a go, see what happens.

When I'm driving straight no sound and the second I turn left it starts knocking.

when I braked yesterday it sounded very rough. I pulled up, took of the wheel to check and found nothing, put the wheel back on and rough sound was gone, gradually the knocking sound came back but the rough sound didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Sounds like worn bushings? I have a 99 Mitsubishi that had that problem, the knocking started if i went down a ramp or around a bend at speed.

gerarda wrote: »
    Sounds like worn bushings? I have a 99 Mitsubishi that had that problem, the knocking started if i went down a ramp or around a bend at speed.

Would a worn bushing be straight forward to check? Think mechanic would spot that. He has had car twice.

Advertisement