Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting two bedrooms into four.

Options
  • 10-08-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks. My wife and I are considering making an offer on a house and I have a question about remodelling the bedrooms.

The house was built to the current owner's spec and, unlike other the other houses in the estate, has two large bedrooms and two bathrooms instead of four bedrooms and one bathroom.

My question is, would the potential cost and/or reconstruction work involved be uneconomical/prohibitive for such extensive remodeling? The walls are stud (i.e. timber frame). Also, what potential obstacles might I encounter?

Apologies, I can't upload any photos as we don't own the house (yet!) and I wouldn't like to put up pictures of another person's home. I can supply a floor plan and any other info I might have missed if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Will the bedrooms be too small, would they all have their own window, do you need 4 bedrooms? Without floor plans, cannot really answer the question and of course it belongs to someone else currently. See can you get plans/elevations from the local planning office and ask a professional for their opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PjFitz wrote: »
    Hi folks. My wife and I are considering making an offer on a house and I have a question about remodelling the bedrooms.

The house was built to the current owner's spec and, unlike other the other houses in the estate, has two large bedrooms and two bathrooms instead of four bedrooms and one bathroom.

My question is, would the potential cost and/or reconstruction work involved be uneconomical/prohibitive for such extensive remodeling? The walls are stud (i.e. timber frame). Also, what potential obstacles might I encounter?

Apologies, I can't upload any photos as we don't own the house (yet!) and I wouldn't like to put up pictures of another person's home. I can supply a floor plan and any other info I might have missed if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Can you get direct access to the landing and escape stairs.
    Will each new bedroom have a secondary means of escape (a window).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If it's a housing estate and all the other houses have four bedrooms there's a reasonable chance that the windows/layout might be set up for the four bed style that the other houses have .... so you might have that on your side at least.

The ease or otherwise of the project will come down to the scale of the "changes" that were made to the original four bed style to make it a two bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above plus the following proviso
    The house was built to the current owner's spec which may not extend to windows to keep estate looking the same

Op you can't post links or fotos directly until you are 50 posts so try post elsewhere and disguise the links
    eg www dot myfotos dot com / ...

or similar

OP is it detached or semi or terraced

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement