Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The skill of retrieving the ball on ground

Options
  • 10-08-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know of a Rugby video on the net which shows the correct way to go down on a ball, and get up straight away ? My hips won't take me demonstrating it myself (!) to my 10 year old, so I was hoping there might be a video out there that would. It's a crucial skill so you'd think there would be.

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mumha wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know of a Rugby video on the net which shows the correct way to go down on a ball, and get up straight away ? My hips won't take me demonstrating it myself (!) to my 10 year old, so I was hoping there might be a video out there that would. It's a crucial skill so you'd think there would be.

Thanks

sometimes getting up straight away might not be the best course of action...
    sometimes sliding down on the ball and staying down until help arrives is more prudent.

but anyway, at 10 they cant squeeze ball so a sideways slide if running backways allows for a quick get up.

its not something that ive seen being a focus on though at that level... i would think plyometrics exercises would be best to get the power into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Why not just scoop the ball up off the ground while on your feet?

that would be the first action in a lot of cases, if possible.

sometimes its not though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Tried that once. Whatever cackhanded way I did it, I tore my ACL completely.

Good job, Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

sydthebeat wrote: »
    sometimes getting up straight away might not be the best course of action...
    sometimes sliding down on the ball and staying down until help arrives is more prudent.

There are numerous situations that require different reactions. Where I'm asking about is where the ball is kicked behind us by the opposition, and we're chasing back. The ability to quickly go down/slide down on the ball, and get back up on your feet using the arm closest to the ground as the leverage to push back up, while gathering the ball using the other hand/arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There are numerous situations that require different reactions. Where I'm asking about is where the ball is kicked behind us by the opposition, and we're chasing back. The ability to quickly go down/slide down on the ball, and get back up on your feet using the arm closest to the ground as the leverage to push back up, while gathering the ball using the other hand/arm.
    You don't use your arm to push back up unless you have become completely stationary. Ideally the player uses his momentum to return to his feet using a foot to brake his forward movement and straightening the leg / s to raise the body all in on motion. There should be a few videos of guys like Rob Kearney doing it on You tube.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you have Sky you could record a few matches and then just play it back to your son if anyone does it. As above, Rob Kearney would be a good one to pay attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Maybe start at the end, it may be easier to get him to figure out how to get in that position once he learns that. A simple exercise of laying flat on the ground on the dead ball line, with his arms stretched out in front of him holding the ball. Then get him to do shuttle runs to the try line and back, where he is sliding back into the same position. Once he has repeated this for a while, he should have the concept of the body position required. Then just start using a few grubber kicks for him to chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

There are numerous situations that require different reactions. Where I'm asking about is where the ball is kicked behind us by the opposition, and we're chasing back.

Why not just tell them to do this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement