Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any website to but Art direct ?

Options
  • 10-08-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have some money put aside for kids education and got a statement from the Post Office recently and the interest is tiny. I will need the money in about 10 years time but in the meantime I was thinking about buying some art. I'm not looking to make money but I really don't want to lose. Two pieces of advice required.

1. Would I be better off buying one 'blue chip' (Yeats, Lavery, Osborne) small piece (€15k - €20k) or eight or ten lessor know (Markey Robinson, Evie Hone, Bobby Ballagh etc).

2. Donedeal/Adverts/ebay are very light on fine art and the commission on any auction/gallery can make a 10 year investment pointless. Is there any private sale websites like Donedeal for art?

Any other advice is welcome too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,203 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suspect that buying art when you are not an expert in the subject would be a very chancy proposition. A bit like buying stocks and shares when you are not familiar with the market, best left alone. You need to be able to anticipate which way public art tastes are likely to go, and hope we are not in a recession when you try to sell them on.

I certainly doubt that Boards is the place for advice, or Donedeal or ebay are likely sources.

And since I know nothing about it, I could be wrong too. Its really your gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

looksee wrote: »
    I certainly doubt that Boards is the place for advice,

I regularly find Boards to be a remarkable source of excellent info. Not my only source but I think I can filter the wheat from the chaff.

Advertisement