Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin/Stamp Fair 2016

Options
  • 10-08-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭

Autumn Coin/Stamp Fair 2016 - RDS, anyone know the dates for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

signostic wrote: »
    Autumn Coin/Stamp Fair 2016 - RDS, anyone know the dates for this?

Next Coin Fair 21st, 22nd, 23rd October 2016
    RDS (Royal Dublin Society)
    Anglesea Road
    Ballsbridge
    Dublin 4

As far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Bumping this again - I don't think this is on in the RDS this year, is it?

At least, the RDS doesn't seem to know much about it... looks like the "Knitting and Stitching Show" is due to run during those dates:
    http://www.rds.ie/Whats-On/Event/27440

No RDS Fair until February 2017 - just had it confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,736 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What stamps are worth money?
    Seems it's an impossible thing to find out .
    If I was to say what stamps are in the 300- 5000 range what list would you give me.

All change - just had a 2nd email from the RDS,

The next Coin and Stamp Fair will take place as part of the 50’s Plus Expo on the 21st - 23rd of October, 2016.

• Advertisement

And here's another event which should be of interest to stamp collectors.

stampa-1.png?w=620

http://stampa.ie/posta/

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And here's another event which should be of interest to stamp collectors.

stampa-1.png?w=620

http://stampa.ie/posta/

Any reason why it's not in the RDS this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Del.Monte wrote: »
    All change - just had a 2nd email from the RDS,

The next Coin and Stamp Fair will take place as part of the 50’s Plus Expo on the 21st - 23rd of October, 2016.

Who ever organises the Coin Fair should be given a job in minding the State secrets...nothing would ever get out!

Who ever organises the Coin Fair should be given a job in minding the State secrets...nothing would ever get out!

If it wasn't for boards you'd never know it was on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    If it wasn't for boards you'd never know it was on.

Rubbish, it was well advertised in the Leitrim Observer.

• Advertisement

Anyone go to Stampa, judging by the size and turn out it'll be held on the back of a stamp next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The coin fair in the RDS started today. Things are a bit different from usual. This year the fair is mixed in with the 'Back To Our Past' exhibition which is the genealogy part of the '50 Plus Expo'. So the coin fair is in Hall 4 this year. It is not a great setup because the coin dealers do not have the hall to themselves and are instead mixed in among many other booths. I walked around several times before I even noticed that the Numismatics Socielty of Ireland had a stand as they were a bit away from everyone else.

Admission to the fair is 5 Euro. You have to walk past the admission desk for the 50 Plus Expo which is charging 10 Euro.
    Parking in the RDS is 6 Euro for the day or 2.40 per hour on Anglesea Road from Mon-Sat or free on Simmonscourt Road on Saturday and Sunday.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    The coin fair in the RDS started today. Things are a bit different from usual. This year the fair is mixed in with the 'Back To Our Past' exhibition which is the genealogy part of the '50 Plus Expo'. So the coin fair is in Hall 4 this year. It is not a great setup because the coin dealers do not have the hall to themselves and are instead mixed in among many other booths. I walked around several times before I even noticed that the Numismatics Socielty of Ireland had a stand as they were a bit away from everyone else.

Admission to the fair is 5 Euro. You have to walk past the admission desk for the 50 Plus Expo which is charging 10 Euro.
    Parking in the RDS is 6 Euro for the day or 2.40 per hour on Anglesea Road from Mon-Sat or free on Simmonscourt Road on Saturday and Sunday.

was thinking of going today (Sat) but the set up does not seem very good, how many dealers were present? any English or foreign dealers this year?

There are about a dozen coin dealers, all the usual people, they are mainly in the middle of the hall. There are a few British and American dealers. The fair is a lot busier because now the room is also full of visitors for the over 50s show. There is a good selection of stuff. As well as all the usual Irish stuff, there is a guy called Parvinder who sells a lot of Euro coins, a few British dealers, and a guy selling nothing but bullion.

The problem seems to arise from the fact that the stamp dealers moved Stampa elsewhere this year, therefore there aren't enough coin dealers to fill a hall on their own, so they had to share with the over 50s show. It would either be that or move the coin fair to a smaller venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

I bought a coin from Jim at the Irishgold&silverbuyers at the fair.

His prices were keener than any of the other sellers that I looked at.

Just my opinion.

You can also print off a free pair of tickets from this page. Happy Days!!

http://seniortimes.ie/pec-events/active-over-50s-show-dublin/

Murt10 wrote: »
    I bought a coin from Jim at the Irishgold&silverbuyers at the fair.

His prices were keener than any of the other sellers that I looked at.

You are right, I bought from them in the past and have spoken to a few others that have dealt with them. Great prices and a good range of stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

there is a guy called Parvinder who sells a lot of Euro coins,

Ah Parvinder, I bought a couple of boxes of Bailey's off him one year at the fair. :)

Blade wrote: »
    Ah Parvinder, I bought a couple of boxes of Bailey's off him one year at the fair. :)

What's a Bailey?

What's a Bailey?

Parvinder is selling boxes of this stuff?

baileysIrishCream.png

That's much better than coin collecting.

• Advertisement

Yup! Well he was a few years ago, they were small gift packages with a nice Bailey's glass, a small bottle of one shot surrounded by mint chocolates. They were boxes of 24 of these IIRC and worked out at 2 Euro each. He also had similar whiskey ones. Under the counter so you had to ask :)

baileysIrishCream.png

Only Blade could go to a coin fair and end up drunk. ;)

Advertisement