Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Products in Ireland will finally get an 'Irish' Siri!

Options
  • 09-08-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I discovered that in iOS 10 (available this September for everyone for free), we will be getting a version of Siri that is intended to be used with an Irish accent. I have used it and found her to be more than competent in understanding my Galway accent despite the fact her 'Irish' accent being a bit unsettling. Nevertheless I just wanted to share this news with everyone. It was a much needed addition and hopefully it is a sign that apple is committed on providing services to the Irish market as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Pretty sure it's been mentioned in the iOS 10 beta thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

guil wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's been mentioned in the iOS 10 beta thread.

Yes I know I saw that too about her voice being a bit 'disconcerting' but the wider audience likely didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

User: How long will it take me to drive to Cork?
    Irish Siri: A fair while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If she sounds anything like the voice of JARVIS in the avengers movie I'll never use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have been using it for a while in 10 Beta and recognised her instantly as she's also the Irish accent used by an app called Cyclemeter.

I don't think adding an Irish accent increases understanding does it. Never had trouble with the UK one understanding me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I like US Siri lady voice the best

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

In theory it should make a difference but in practice if you have a decent non-bogger accent and speak at anywhere near normal pace, the US/UK Siri will have zero issues.

I use British Siri with female voice as I cannot stand the Hollywood Irish accent of Irish Siri.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Me: Hey Siri! What's the fastest way to get to Donegal?
    Siri: Let me check. Are you walking or driving?
    Me: Driving
    Siri: Driving is definitely the fastest!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In theory it should make a difference but in practice if you have a decent non-bogger accent and speak at anywhere near normal pace, the US/UK Siri will have zero issues.

I use British Siri with female voice as I cannot stand the Hollywood Irish accent of Irish Siri.

It's definitely not Hollywood. It's a real Irish accent, south Dublin to me.

Advertisement