Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 fiesta Zetec coolant leak

Options
  • 09-08-2016 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

01 fiesta Zetec. The coolant seems to be leaking and needs topping up regularly. It should be between min and max* but is below max

Where does it go. I do not see any liquid under the car ever.

* I cannot remember is that when the engine is hot or cool but i have checked at relevant time as stated in manual and it is down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could be many things ranging from a bad coolant cap to a bad hose, to a hole in the radiator, to headgasket trouble.
    Take off oil cap and check for white/grey residue, aka "mayo". Check for mayo on the oil dipstick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

biko wrote: »
    It could be many things ranging from a bad coolant cap to a bad hose, to a hole in the radiator, to headgasket trouble.
    Take off oil cap and check for white/grey residue, aka "mayo". Check for mayo on the oil dipstick too.
    Ok thanks. There is no mayo on the dipstick anyway as the oil was checked today. The cap looks OK too

Bring it for a hard drive and after it leave the engine on while checking for leaks in the hoses or a spitting radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am not too sure if that engine is similar to its successor the duratec one, we have an 03 Duratec engine that had a leak from the expansion tank, was replaced,but there is still a leak from I believe the thermostat housing which is behind the inlet manifold.If you follow the top hose to see where it goes to, a possibility anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

As already said could be a lot of reasons for coolant level to drop. As it's a pressurised system a faulty cap could leave it escape as steam or the expansion tank itself could have a leak or indeed either of the two hoses to the tank.

To check those take the car for a nice fast spin get the temp up then pull up and pop the bonnet and have a look at the tank for evidence of steam or water escaping.

After that it could be the thermostat housing or the water pump but usually with those you will see coolant leaking under the car.

It could also be any of the hoses top or bottom radiator hoses. Also remember if your topping up with water only you're diluting the coolant probably not critical now but would be during the winter if it's not sorted by then

• Advertisement

As already said could be a lot of reasons for coolant level to drop. As it's a pressurised system a faulty cap could leave it escape as steam or the expansion tank itself could have a leak or indeed either of the two hoses to the tank.

To check those take the car for a nice fast spin get the temp up then pull up and pop the bonnet and have a look at the tank for evidence of steam or water escaping.

After that it could be the thermostat housing or the water pump but usually with those you will see coolant leaking under the car.

It could also be any of the hoses top or bottom radiator hoses. Also remember if your topping up with water only you're diluting the coolant probably not critical now but would be during the winter if it's not sorted by then
    I topped up with coolant. thanks

I went for a long spin and on returning there is fluid on the ground in front as in the image . That is not the car it is one from the web but is same model.

It looks like under the radiator. Does the coolant go into the radiator?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I've had the same problem with the expansion tank. It will leak and travel down the rad hoses etc so gives the impression it's leaking from where it's dripping. Just use water until you get it sorted and it's not good stuff for animals that might be around.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I've had the same problem with the expansion tank. It will leak and travel down the rad hoses etc so gives the impression it's leaking from where it's dripping. Just use water until you get it sorted and it's not good stuff for animals that might be around.
    so it is the expansion tank? Where is that . where you top up?

so it is the expansion tank? Where is that . where you top up?

We can't be sure where it's leaking from what you say. Did you pop the bonnet immediately you stopped and if so did you see any water leaking from the expansion tank. Yes the expansion tank is where you top up

• Advertisement

We can't be sure where it's leaking from what you say.
    OK
    Did you pop the bonnet immediately you stopped and if so did you see any water leaking from the expansion tank.
    yes opened immediately. no water around tank cap, running down tank. or on the hoses coming from it unless it is way down where hose goes to rad where i could not see. Check closer tomoroow
    Yes the expansion tank is where you top up
    thanks

Ok it's unlikely it's the expansion tank from what you say. If the pool of coolant is not far from the front of the car it's likely the radiator itself or the hoses going into it.
    If it's further back underneath the car it would be the water pump or thermostat housing.
    Hope this helps it's difficult to explain it in writing.

Ok it's unlikely it's the expansion tank from what you say. If the pool of coolant is not far from the front of the car it's likely the radiator itself or the hoses going into it.
    If it's further back underneath the car it would be the water pump or thermostat housing.
    Hope this helps it's difficult to explain it in writing.
    I though it may be the rad, The pool is just barely in under the body of the car. Will try radweld. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Before you put radweld or similar in it, swing by a mechanic and get an opinion from them - it may be cheap to replace whatever is broken.

I'd agree with biko let a mechanic or even someone that knows a bit about cars have a quick look before you go with radweld, as it maybe a hose that's split.

thanks guys did not get chance to look today. noted re mechanic

Advertisement