Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do u think of this laptop

Options
  • 09-08-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

what do u think of this laptop

Its called a predator

Acer Predator 17 Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Drive & 256Gb SSD Storage, 17.3 inch Full HD PC Gaming Laptop with 3Gb Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M Dedicated

While I don't really play games on pc, I do use photoshop a lot, and I'm finding my computer slowing down a lot now and I need to upgrade because the screen has detatched it self from the laptop body, if I had a computer that was capable of playing games like battlefield etc I would give pc gaming a go, but if I'm not specifically going to buy a sytem for games, would this be over kill

Photoshop is a really heavy program tho and ive noticed even with the laptop ive got, which is quiet a good one, it begins to slow down terribly when theres only just a few layers open in photoshop

what do u think of this ACER Predator,i want the most power I cant get, is this it or is there something more powerful for a similar or maybe even cheaper price

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ram and CPU plus as SSD are your friends with PS. No need for such a powerful card if not high end gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bules

mordeith wrote: »
    Ram and CPU plus as SSD are your friends with PS. No need for such a powerful card if not high end gaming

So is there something as good as this that doesn't have such a big graphics card??
    Is That card why I would be paying 2 grand rather than 1300-1500??

Also what about 4 k display. I seen a HP laptop that has it. Is it useful in such small screen. Surely ordinary 1080 display is good enough??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bules wrote: »
    So is there something as good as this that doesn't have such a big graphics card??
    Is That card why I would be paying 2 grand rather than 1300-1500??

Also what about 4 k display. I seen a HP laptop that has it. Is it useful in such small screen. Surely ordinary 1080 display is good enough??

Check out the XPS 15 wit 4K screen, it's one of the best out there. You should be able to pick something up with your money.

The graphics card is not needed for your usage, and it is what you will pay the extra 500 for if it is a high end card.

the laptop below is not 4 k is it????

Dell XPS 15 Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD Storage, 15.6 inch Full HD Laptop with 2Gb Nvidia Dedicated Graphics - Silver

*Offer – Save £60 on McAfee Anti-Virus software when bought with this product, just add item number 4THNY to your basket, discount will be taken off at checkout*•Depth: 235 MM
    •Height: 11 MM
    •Width: 357 MM
    •Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M
    •Hard Drive Storage: 512 Gb
    •Processor: Intel Core i7-
    •RAM Memory: 16 GB
    •Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
    •Screen Type: LCD
    •Touch Screen: N
    •Wifi Enabled: Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Just a note re a laptop of that size (the 17.3inch one) as I had a similar one a few years ago for ps and games and it was a beast to lug around weight wise. I'd advise a desktop you can upgrade easily if having a mobile solution isn't an issue or a smaller sized laptop if you intend travelling with it. Camera equipment, laptop etc all adds up weight wise esp. if carry a backback! And it's also a difficult size in tight spots.

• Advertisement

now that you mention it I'm gonna look at some desktops too, I could be wrong but id imagine I could get a really powerful desktop for less money, am I right??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

now that you mention it I'm gonna look at some desktops too, I could be wrong but id imagine I could get a really powerful desktop for less money, am I right??

Correct, especially when you are looking at 17" laptops.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

the laptop below is not 4 k is it????

Dell XPS 15 Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD Storage, 15.6 inch Full HD Laptop with 2Gb Nvidia Dedicated Graphics - Silver

*Offer – Save £60 on McAfee Anti-Virus software when bought with this product, just add item number 4THNY to your basket, discount will be taken off at checkout*•Depth: 235 MM
    •Height: 11 MM
    •Width: 357 MM
    •Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M
    •Hard Drive Storage: 512 Gb
    •Processor: Intel Core i7-
    •RAM Memory: 16 GB
    •Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
    •Screen Type: LCD
    •Touch Screen: N
    •Wifi Enabled: Y

That is not 4k, only 1080p. Still a very nice and powerful machine all the same.

Advertisement