Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a Sky Alternative Kildare

Options
  • 09-08-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

my Sky service is not working due to high trees around my house - its way to expensive to have the trees removed so I'm looking for an alternative TV service. Sky engineers would not move the dish up to the chimney as they can't work on slate roofs (or so they told me!).

Looking to speak to a reputable & good value Saor View (or similar?) installer in Co Kildare.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Thanks for any help :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,797 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pole on back of house might be best option to look at if trees are not over that height which I doubt they are unless you are in a bungalow...

TallMotorOnPole.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

my Sky service is not working due to high trees around my house - its way to expensive to have the trees removed so I'm looking for an alternative TV service ...

... Looking to speak to a reputable & good value Saor View (or similar?) installer in Co Kildare.

Saorview is just RTE, TV3, TG4, & UTV Ireland, not exactly a fitting alternative to Sky. And UK terrestrial in Kildare would be a non-starter.

Free UK channels via satellite are the same broadcasts Sky use.

If I was in your situation, I'd just get an installer independent of Sky to rig up a dish (if it's actually possible to overcome the tree problem), & use this to continue receiving Sky's service. (Or check out non-subscription options for Irish + UK channels, if that's what you'd prefer e.g. Saorview/free-to-air satellite combi receiver.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP if you can get someone else to move your dish to a position where you can receive Freesat, then you'll most likely also be able to continue to receive Sky from the same dish.

If not...do you live in a town? You might be able to recieve TV from Virgin Media or Eir/Vodafone, if having pay TV is a requirement (eg for Sky Sports).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

if you have an Android or iPhone, get dishpointer pro and check for line of sight at your location

check their website to see how it works

http://www.dishpointer.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭zg3409

It is only for cheap insurance reasons the standard sky installers are not allowed to go up on a roof. Any other non Sky installer, can go up on a roof. It should not cost you more than a few hundred euros to get an installer to mount a dish up high as needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement