Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get out of psych ward

Options
  • 09-08-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I had a breakdown and checked myself into a psychiatric ward last week. Now I need to get out but the psychiatrist is determined to keep me here. I'm a voluntary patient here with VHI insurance. What can I do to get out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

nothing, a voluntary admittance is only voluntary if psychiatrist agrees you dont need to be there anymore.

If the psychiatrist is saying you are not suitable to leave then i dont know what choice you have...

sorry i cant be more help.

maybe trying talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

They can't actually keep you there unless you are made involuntary. You can be put under a lot of pressure but legally, you are entitled to walk out the door.

If you don't get on with/trust your Team, do you have anyone else you can have a chat with (friend/relative etc) and see how they think you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

neemish wrote: »
    They can't actually keep you there unless you are made involuntary. You can be put under a lot of pressure but legally, you are entitled to walk out the door.

If you don't get on with/trust your Team, do you have anyone else you can have a chat with (friend/relative etc) and see how they think you are doing?

They are allowed to hold you for 24 hours and they decide if you are well, and if they decide you're unwell they can make you involuntary. It's dark stuff considering the psychiatrist knows so little, yet she's the authority that decides people's fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

BogMonkey wrote: »
    They are allowed to hold you for 24 hours and they decide if you are well, and if they decide you're unwell they can make you involuntary. It's dark stuff considering the psychiatrist knows so little, yet she's the authority that decides people's fate.

Why do you want to leave so badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

BogMonkey wrote: »

to be fair he admitted himself and thats a serious thing to do, now he seems to think it was just a little holiday.

psychiatric wards arnt just places you check yourself into for a bit of r and r, its not the bloody brehon hotel and spa like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Lots of assumptions here guys.

OP talk to your psych, and ask for an explanation, we cant help you here.

On a positive note, you sought help, this shows a level of rationality, which will work in your favor and treatment.

Advertisement