Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion for the 40's Ladies

Options
  • 09-08-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭

As said above, any ideas for shops for the above age range. Am in my mid 40's and finding it harder to find clothes that suit. Think I'm getting a bit old for New Look,Next etc but am finding M&S, Wallis, etc too old. Also getting concious of looking like mutton!

Any ideas? At the minute, I'm buying a lot in Massimo Dutti and some cheaper bits in Zara , but looking for some more ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Cos, banana republic, Other Stories (I think they are coming to Dublin this autumn), Sisley are a few I would usually check out (I am 38).

House of Fraser is another option. Kildare Village might be worth a visit (Gerard Darel, Hobbs, LK Bennett).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thats great! thanks. Like the look of Cos and other stories. googled them and Other Stories due to open in Grafton Street this autumn too.

Must look at Sisely too!

Kildare is probably a good option for me - I get quite a bit in All Saints and sometimes Belstaff!

Hobbs and LK Bennett not really for me apart from shoes....too safe!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am in my early 40's and still wear clothes that I wore in my late teens/early 20's, it helps that I have not changed size in years. I wear slim jeans now not skinny jeans, I get up to date pieces from New Look and classical pieces from Coast and Monsoon though I mainly get those from Adverts. Age is just a number, it does probably help that my youngest is only 5 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As I've gotten older I've moved away from High Street and more into Department Stores and individual labels. The High Street isn't great for choice as you get older IMO.

Thanks....actually this might sound weird but was in Avoca yesterday with the big clothes section and saw lots of stuff that I would like.......very funky, not Mammyish...one of the Brands was called Scotch and Soda, another couple of Danish designs...so I think that is the way to go, smaller labels. And taking a look at the smaller concessions within the big stores like BT's might be an option as well.!

I can still fit into all the clothes that I got years ago as well, I'm quite slim but its really my style that is evolving if that makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

anewme wrote: »
    but its really my style that is evolving if that makes sense!

I think this is it, more than anything else. I've always loved fashion, but I'm not that interested in dressing to the latest trends anymore. I want to dress well while staying in line with fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Check out the blog "does my bum look 40 in this" ...you'll def get some good ideas off her ...sorry can't paste link atm

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

Great thread. I'm 44, hopeless with fashion and while I would know the safe things that I like, I find that these days I don't like alot of the stuff in the shops and I don't know what to wear anymore. I'm always told I don't look my age at all and get anything from 35-40 and I tend to favour skinny jeans but sometimes at a loss for smart casual, or what to wear for dressy night out. And i'm so sick of floral, sorry!

DSC_0506.JPG

I seem to only be able to upload one at a time ~techphobe as well as fashionphobe

this is killing me. It worked the first time.Now I'm struggling to upload another pic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Kate253 wrote: »
    this is killing me. It worked the first time.Now I'm struggling to upload another pic!

And you know what's the worst? You posted in the wrong thread... :D

I love the dress and clutch. I think shoes are lovely but for me they don't work with the dress or bag.

meeeeh wrote: »

AAARGH!!!

Was wondering if random outfits were being suggested for me?

I love the shoes and bag with jeans..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

meeeeh wrote: »

I love the dress and clutch. I think shoes are lovely but for me they don't work with the dress or bag.

Either pink shoes to match the bag or a deep pink bag to match the front of the shoes.

I actually posted this in the wrong place as I have a separate post. I got nervy about going too much with the pink that might clash with dress. What colour fascinator would I wear? I can';t find a lilac one that I like that matches. could I just go for a black one?

Advertisement