Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Irish law relating to land and home

Options
  • 08-08-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello. I have a few questions about buying land in Ireland, and the laws, fines, procedures, taxations and such that come with building a home on said land. I'm a 23 y.o. Irish male, and I don't know where to begin in learning about this stuff. So please treat my questions seriously, and help me by answering in detail and offering me resources. They may sound like stupid questions and you may have contempt for me for being so ignorant, but realise that if you have the power to enlighten me, I will listen.

I've lived in Co. Clare all my life. I'm starting to think about what I want in terms of where I want to live, what type of abode, what type of living arrangement I want. My fantasy is to have my own house, fully paid for, a house built from the ground up, maybe entirely by myself, someplace out in the countryside in Ireland. I don't know if this is feasible, but it's the dream and the template I'm working off of. The closest I can get to fulfilling the dream the happier I'll be. Right away, I don't know the basic stuff about law and land.

First question: what resources are open to me to browse the catalog of available land up for purchase? Daft.ie?
    Second question: what are the requisites for me to purchase land according to law? Am I permitted to purchase land if I have the money, and that's it? What forms do I have to fill, do I have to contact agencies, or government departments, or anything like that?
    Third question: once I've paid the price in full, is that it? Are there hidden costs that come after paying in full?
    Forth question: do I have to conform to design standards when building the house, is it permissible for me to build and live in a structurally unsound house for example? Is it allowed to simply live in a tent on the land?
    Fifth question: what are the general steps in building a basic house from scratch? No need for extraneous detail, just generally how is it done, what comes first, what type of person do you contact to service the surveying, levelling, excavation, building, installing certain housing features. Take me through the process in short-form.
    Sixth question: the house is built, it is liveable, there is no mortgage, everything is paid for. There are no electricity bills, or running-water bills, no bills at all. I live self-sufficiently in the house, on my own land, and nothing will change that, correct? Am I required to pay a tax for living on the land, or a tax for something? I have no idea, you see. Is that it? Is it possible something may happen, a new law comes into effect which requires me to pay a tax in future, or I'm fined for breaking a newly introduced code or standard? I don't think I'll feel fully comfortable and free of anxiety until I know nothing unexpected is going to separate me from my rightful property. Can it ever be taken away from me? If I leave the house unoccupied for two years without notice, does that violate some rule?

I'm in the dark and don't know where to start or to look for information or advice. I don't have people in real life to question about this stuff.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I don't have people in real life to question about this stuff.

Do you exist in real life? If so go the Clare library which is very good will give you some books to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You need to educate yourself by finding the answers to your questions, not expecting someone to answer everything for you. You are not ready to own property if you can do basic research by yourself.
    Also, I know many people who bought property when young, most regret it now, are you always going to live in the choose area, what about employment in that area? What about if you have a family, will the house you plan now be suitable for future needs?
    My needs when I was 23 where much different to when I was 31 and actually bought my first house.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Most land should be available on daft or MyHome.ie
    Talking to Estate agents they may know of other sites for sale
    2. Once you've agreed a sale you should engage a solicitor to process the sale. They check the title and any issues.
    The sale may be subject to planning. In which case you would need to apply for planning and have it approved before sale.this would involve checks to see it on suitable for building etc The land may already have some building or planning already.
    3. You have stamp duty due on completion of sale either 1 or 2%
    4. You will not be given planning permission without agreement on your design
    5. No idea
    6. You are liable for local.property tax. Any other taxes may also be introduced.
    It is probably easier to buy an old house and do it up than build from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

On number 6, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to live off grid. You have to be connected to electricity, sewage ( septic tank) water supply. Water charges are on hold at the minute but may be reintroduced next year. I'm not sure on the costs if you have a well.

Building a house that has enough insulation, solar panels, maybe geothermal energy too, to live as Bill free as possible, will be very expensive to build. You are essentially swapping long term costs for upfront costs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

no.4
    DO NOT purchase land unless you already have planning permission .

Planning is extremely difficult to get in rural Ireland, For good reason.

You need to familiarise yourself with SF1 form in your local council, and employ an experienced planning consultant or architect to help you

• Advertisement
Advertisement