Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build recommendation - console substitute.

Options
  • 08-08-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? I am flexible.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Games: CoDs, Battlefields, GTAs, WoW, SW: Battlefront + any other military style shooters that might be released in next few years

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Between 27" - 33"ish

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? ---

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Need keyboard and mouse.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Within a month unless there is something worth waiting for.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No.

Looking for a small sized PC for gaming. This is to substitute for a console as I cannot get used to playing on the gamepad - so I'd like to build it and forget about it but allow enough juice to last for few years without any upgrades.

I want it hidden in my desk the available space inside is: 33x30x60cm (presumably some modding of the desk will be required to allow for the airflow).

I would like it as quiet as possible without any extreme cooling solutions such as custom liquid cooling etc. It has to be as reliable as possible and able to run without any servicing.

Don't need any fancy looking motherboards/GPUs/RAM etc or any other special features that will bump the price as most likely I will never use any of that. So as long as the core performance of the boards (in gaming) is the same between fully packed and basic model I am happy with the basic option. Will not need optical drive. Would like to have a ssd. Don't need hdd for storage. The system will have windows + games - wont be using it for anything else. I would prefer wifi connection but could move the modem from the TV room and use the cable.

As to the budget I am flexible - what I mean by that is that I don't need premium "gamers" or "oc" versions of components that will cost extra, but I am willing to spend some € to get enough gaming power to last for a while without all the marketing crap on top of that. I won't venture into the Titan X land though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€204.93 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€41.44 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€90.04 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€57.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€142.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini Video Card (€286.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B-Q Mini ITX Tower Case (€48.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (€93.43 @ Mindfactory)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (€102.72 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1068.31
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 20:25 CEST+0200

Good for 1080p/1440p gaming.
    Have a read through this list and decide on a budget/size you want, and if you care about 144Hz (a good upgrade over 60Hz IMHO).

For online play, HomePlugs are a good investment as they won't suffer from the lag of wi-fi.

Mouse/keyboard is personal preference, I'll leave that up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Good for 1080p/1440p gaming.
    Have a read through this list and decide on a budget/size you want, and if you care about 144Hz (a good upgrade over 60Hz IMHO).

For online play, HomePlugs are a good investment as they won't suffer from the lag of wi-fi.

Thanks - will have a look at the monitors suggested. It's been good few years since I was looking at PC gear so am bit rusty in terms whats new/good these days.

I'd rather just move my UPC modem to the room where PC will be living as I used these plugs before and the speeds were up to 4-5meg. I should be able to use the full speed through the cable and my other wifi devices should not suffer moving the modem.

Is 1060 best option for now or next few years ? Or should this be upgraded to higher model in next year or so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

omri wrote: »
    Thanks - will have a look at the monitors suggested. It's been good few years since I was looking at PC gear so am bit rusty in terms whats new/good these days.

I'd rather just move my UPC modem to the room where PC will be living as I used these plugs before and the speeds were up to 4-5meg. I should be able to use the full speed through the cable and my other wifi devices should not suffer moving the modem.

Is 1060 best option for now or next few years ? Or should this be upgraded to higher model in next year or so ?
    Eurogamer review
    It beats their old GTX 970 and is on-par to the GTX 980 (their previous high-end card).
    For ~€450 you could get a GTX 1070, which outperforms the previous Titan X :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Eurogamer review
    It beats their old GTX 970 and is on-par to the GTX 980 (their previous high-end card).
    For ~€450 you could get a GTX 1070, which outperforms the previous Titan X :cool:

I think I actually have some OEM copy of windows from a while ago - if I can re-activate it for the new build (if possible) then GPU upgrade would be more than welcome.

Advertisement