Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got the cartell report from the dealer

Options
  • 08-08-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

normally I would do this myself but the dealer printed it out and handed it to me while I was standing there.
    There is nothing in it that raises and eyebrow so should I just trust it vs the one I'd get myself ?
    the free check verifies its the same car

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've seen a few dealers mentioning this on Done Deal recently. I say for the sake of a few euro, better off to look it up yourself and see if the reports match.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not saying they did but it wouldn't take much to falsify a paper report to have it show what you wanted it to, for peace of mind always get one done yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Paper never refused ink. Just make sure your 100% on what the warranty covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

RobAMerc wrote: »
    normally I would do this myself but the dealer printed it out and handed it to me while I was standing there.
    There is nothing in it that raises and eyebrow so should I just trust it vs the one I'd get myself ?
    the free check verifies its the same car

If I remember correctly, each report can be accessed online for a few days with a unique URL. You could ask for that URL and verify yourself online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i did a report via the uk hpi site it matched up completely. the only thing none of them do is give you an MOT history - but that can be done for free via the MOT site.
    Only afterwards I noticed the time the report for the car was generated was the exact time I was in the office with him, so he'd have had to be fairly quick to falsify anything !
    the car is outside the door here now, I suppose I can say I did everything I could.

thanks for the input

• Advertisement

If one is to falsify the report, why not the generation time as well to look more genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

grogi wrote: »
    If one is to falsify the report, why not the generation time as well to look more genuine?

I can see its not printed from word etc its from the cartell site. so you think he has created an application on his machine to generate false Cartell reports ?

remember I was standing there looking at him. he wasnt fiddling about, typing in times, reg plate, make model

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

grogi wrote: »

I can see its not printed from word etc its from the cartell site. so you think he has created an application on his machine to generate false Cartell reports ?

remember I was standing there looking at him. he wasnt fiddling about, typing in times, reg plate, make model
    Its so easy to doctor what looks like a real report to contain false information. always best to check yourself for a few quid to be honest. if it all matches, cool, if not you may have missed a banger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I can see its not printed from word etc its from the cartell site. so you think he has created an application on his machine to generate false Cartell reports

Pretty sure I could write this in less than a day. Some php and a PDF generating library would do it. Throw a developer a few euros and you sell more cars, pretty much a no brainer to be honest.

CarTell et al should really add a unique ID to the report so that one can go online and access it themselves, including the Dealer name etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I very much doubt any dodgy car dealer has gone to anything like those lengths, I'd be amazed if the report isn't genuine to be honest.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Pretty sure I could write this in less than a day. Some php and a PDF generating library would do it. Throw a developer a few euros and you sell more cars, pretty much a no brainer to be honest.

CarTell et al should really add a unique ID to the report so that one can go online and access it themselves, including the Dealer name etc.

That's what I got when I got my motorcheck report years ago:

http://www.motorcheck.ie/report/04D53740/XVAJ3X

It came with a reg number and unique identifier - and one could access it for 31 days for free. Nothing stopping the dealers from sharing such URL if buyer asks (I am pretty sure the the T&C of Motorcheck prohibit publicly (exp. in the ad) sharing it though).

But if someone goes into trouble of faking the report application, they could also acquire a dummy domain like motocheck.ie, cartel.ie or somethning similar - and serve dummy reports from there as well. Buyers would not even notice the difference...

Advertisement