Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Incorrect mileage advertised

Options
  • 08-08-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Last week I purchased a second hand car from a dealership which had a higher millage than was advertised.

I had found the car advertised online (carzone.ie) and called up to arranged a test drive. During the test drive I stupidly forgot to check the odometer but trusted what was advertised. The next day I called up and agreed a deal over the phone. When I picked up my car last Friday I noticed that the millage was 8,500 higher than had been advertised online. I mentioned it to the salesman who said it must have made a mistake by the person who put up the advertisement adding that the car was "priced at the right millage".

I was and still am pretty p****d off about this but is there anything I can/should do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The car wouldn't have been any cheaper with such a small difference in mileage, so in either case it makes no difference.

The fact that you now have the car and the dealer has your money also leaves you in a weaker position.

Have you asked the dealer if they will do anything for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

as far as I know, an advert is an invitation to treat and doesn't form part of a contract.

As for the mileage discrepancy being small, that rather depends on the total mileage....it won't make any difference to a high mileage car, but a nearly new low mileage model would be a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Yes it would be a bigger discrepancy on a low mileage car, but a car with 20,000km and a car with 28,000km is worth the same regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gagagogo

Millage is pretty high but I should have been clearer its a 8,500 mile discrepancy so that's almost 13,700 Km.
    Was advertised as 124,000 miles/199,000 Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do really.
    The mileage was there for you to inspect, particularly since you seem to emphasise it.
    Dealers make advert mistakes all the time.

At the mileage car is now I don't think it matters much.

You can try getting some free service out of them, or a few car washes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see the market value of a car with 124,000 miles being much better than one with 132,000 miles to be honest. What sort of recourse would you be expecting from the dealer OP?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP not trying to be funny here but how long has the car been advertised online? It could have been test driven all those extra miles.

I don't think there is much I can do at this stage. I'd like to believe it was an honest mistake but with the general attitude I experienced from the salesman I'm not so sure. He let me down with a few things. Told me he would half fill the tank but was less than a quarter full, told me it would be ready Tuesday, it wasn't ready until Friday. Told me he would have a cracked rear wiper fixed, but wasn't.

I didn't receive an apology for any of this.

I'm not expecting anything from the dealer at this stage bazz26 but maybe this isn't a once off and they regularly false advertise. Is there someone this should be reported to?

I do have a 4 month warranty and I'm planning on making full use of it.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    OP not trying to be funny here but how long has the car been advertised online? It could have been test driven all those extra miles.
    It was only advertised for a week or so. 8,500 miles would be one hell of a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they are a SIMI dealer then you can escalate it I suppose.

Dealers are not your friends.
    Check and doublecheck anything they say.
    Get everything in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's common enough practice in my experience.

Up to the buyer to check before handing over any cash.

It's annoying but there's nothing you do about it after the fact imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gagagogo wrote: »
    I don't think there is much I can do at this stage. I'd like to believe it was an honest mistake but with the general attitude I experienced from the salesman I'm not so sure. He let me down with a few things. Told me he would half fill the tank but was less than a quarter full, told me it would be ready Tuesday, it wasn't ready until Friday. Told me he would have a cracked rear wiper fixed, but wasn't.

I didn't receive an apology for any of this.

I'm not expecting anything from the dealer at this stage bazz26 but maybe this isn't a once off and they regularly false advertise. Is there someone this should be reported to?

I do have a 4 month warranty and I'm planning on making full use of it.

What sort of car is it? How much did it cost you? The lower down the price range of the car the general tendency is that the less quality car as well as service you get from the dealer selling it.

Unfortunately there are alot of sharks in the game of buying and selling cars and it sounds like your innocence got the better of you. The things you listed there should have been checked by yourself before you handed over any money. Never assume anything and now that the dealer has your money you are in a weaker position to get them rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Gagagogo wrote: »
    I was and still am pretty p****d off about this but is there anything I can/should do?

Are you buying a car in particular condition or just mileage?

If it really annoys you, you can always ask if the dealer could correct the odo to the advertised value...

Advertisement