Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducato X230 rear brakes

Options
  • 08-08-2016 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I'm sure they will be a few people on here who are familiar with these.
    I failed the DoE for ineffective rear brakes. My local mechanic was on holiday so I took it to a dealer nearby. After a 2 week delay they called to say it was ready.
    As I rushed off to get the re-test before they grace period was over, I realised all was not well; the brake pedal was soft and there was also a grinding noise as soon as I put pressure on the pedal.
    It just passed the re-test and I decided to get my local mechanic to check it out. He found a small amount of air in one line, but said there was something not right about the adjusters.
    On this model the adjusters have a knurled nut that sets the gap, and a roughly triangular fitting that, I presume, is there to stop the nut spontaneously unwinding.
    On one wheel the device wasn't making contact with the nut [and he couldn't see how it could] and on the other wheel the device was missing. He was wondering if the shoes were not the right version.
    At the moment neither wheel has it installed.
    Am I right in thinking this is not OK? Can the adjuster slacken off?
    Thanks,
    Jon
    PS The grinding noise disappeared after he had refitted the drums.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You should bring it back to the dealer as they did the original work.

I wouldn't be too happy if the local mechanic had doubts about it and put it all back together anyway. If he felt there was something wrong with the setup he should have fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Not fair! He said take it back to the "dealer." I don't trust them, so I've taken it back to the place I bought it from. When I challenged the mechanic who did the work he had no reply to "why didn't you tell me it wasn't to Fiat spec." He also claimed to have done a road test; I think he isn't used to a firm brake pedal... go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Update: I took it back to where I bought it [Pat Horan Motors] and they found there were 1.8T shoes fitted instead of the proper 1.4T model shoes.
    I was told the first dealer had used the VIN, so where it went wrong I can't imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

JonMac wrote: »
    Update: I took it back to where I bought it [Pat Horan Motors] and they found there were 1.8T shoes fitted instead of the proper 1.4T model shoes.
    I was told the first dealer had used the VIN, so where it went wrong I can't imagine.
    There is no guarantee of getting the right part using the VIN. It happened to me before with brake pads and an oil filter for a Ducato. It's good that you got sorted.

Advertisement