Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 electrical issue?

Options
  • 08-08-2016 7:34am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I've got a 2005 2.0TDI A4 and it let me down on the motorway as I was going away for the weekend, went to overtake someone at around 100kph, and the car appeared to have no power, I indicated into the hard shoulder and popped the bonnet to see could I see anything or smell anything, all good!
    Car was revving fine but when I went to take off again there was very little power, I thought the clutch might be slipping or the flywheel could be the issue as the DMF is on the way out and the car stalled! Went to try and start the car and it appeared the battery was dead! So I called breakdown assistance and he jumps tarted the car and away it went, as I was afraid to get stuck further down the road I let him take the car with him back to my house and I continued on my journey by cab!
    When I got home yesterday I tried the car to see would it start, and it went first turn and drove normally, now if the battery was dead, I know it wouldn't have time to charge as it was only running as long as it took to get it onto the flat bed.
    Any ideas? Have already checked all leads! Would diagnostics tell me anything here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Might be worth getting the battery checked. When a battery is failing it can cause may strange faults to occour.
    Also you mentioned the flyweel is going, I wonder is this is effecting the crank sensor.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

steveshort wrote: »
    Might be worth getting the battery checked. When a battery is failing it can cause may strange faults to occour.
    Also you mentioned the flyweel is going, I wonder is this is effecting the crank sensor.

Maybe but it's doubtful, I assume it would show a fault code? It's coming up clean!
    Going to try and pick up a multimeter somewhere tomorrow and pop it on the battery, that should narrow down whether it's charging or there's a short in the battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Had a crankshaft sensor fault that didn't show up as a code for ages on my Octavia - similar symptoms, very hard to start and loss of power. Eventually manifested as a P0335 dtc. Mechanic spotted it and replaced the sensor, starts no problem every time now. Could be worth checking out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Had a crankshaft sensor fault that didn't show up as a code for ages on my Octavia - similar symptoms, very hard to start and loss of power. Eventually manifested as a P0335 dtc. Mechanic spotted it and replaced the sensor, starts no problem every time now. Could be worth checking out.

Thanks for that Aaron, Willl def keep that in mind! Still leaning towards battery of altenator as the battery is completely dead but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Did you scan it with VAG-COM?

• Advertisement
Advertisement