Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I am considering this SAAB...

Options
  • 07-08-2016 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am considering to have a look at this SAAB. General description reads O.K. One of the photos shows a double page from the service book; it's hard to read anything at the low resolution, but the stamps in the book seem from a company "B. A. McCullagh", a name for which Google returns nothing car related... Am I being paranoid?

What is the reputation of this dealer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Carbon125 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am considering to have a look at this SAAB. General description reads O.K. One of the photos shows a double page from the service book; it's hard to read anything at the low resolution, but the stamps in the book seem from a company "B. A. McCullagh", a name for which Google returns nothing car related... Am I being paranoid?

What is the reputation of this dealer?

Dealer is trustworthy and car seems straight. Service stamps are from the uk so I'd call each one to verify mileage and do a history check yourself, you can get a motorcheck discount code By emailing them info@motorcheck.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Thanks, Mintoe. I have the history check done and it contains conflicting information regarding the number of previous owners. I don't see how the several dates of sale match up with the information of 1 UK owner, 0 Irish owners. See screenshot...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Some other concerns:

- I remember from online insurance quotations that the question "Is this car imported?" always comes up. Will there be an extra insurance load on this car under the excuse of it being an import?

- Rust. UK roads get salted in winter. On the other hand, roads are better, so less concern about worn out suspension parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Carbon125 wrote: »
    Some other concerns:

- I remember from online insurance quotations that the question "Is this car imported?" always comes up. Will there be an extra insurance load on this car under the excuse of it being an import?

Rather not. More an annoyance, as you will not be able to do online quotation, you'll need to call each insurer.
    - Rust. UK roads get salted in winter. On the other hand, roads are better, so less concern about worn out suspension parts...

Suspension is relatively easy to fix - you swap a few elements and suspension is like new.

Rust is much tougher opponent and once it gets in, you will never get rid of it. Luckily we don't have much salt on the roads, so you usually get a few years before the rusty return.

Advertisement