Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen CC purchase

Options
  • 07-08-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all.

Having spent some time trying to sell a rather nice (imo!) Peugeot 407 coupe, I did so a couple of weeks ago and then purchased myself a 2012 VW CC. I've always liked the CC and had my eye on one or two. Went for the new model CC, black with black leather interior, GT model, manual. Very happy with the condition of it albeit I have had to address a few things - 3 new tyres required, full service, one new xenon bulb (not cheap!!), a new fitting for wing mirror as indicator lens broken but that's about it. Am rather pleased with it now I must admit.

Mileage is higher than I would be used to or would have liked @ 130k miles. It's a Nov 2012 reg. It was a UK car; likely a company car I imagine. Got the low down from the VW UK garage that serviced it and it has been serviced every 10k miles so that's a plus. I won't be doing much mileage year on year myself (too little really for a diesel truth be told). Anyway, I didn't know when buying and found out later through the VW UK garage that the clutch and gearbox was replaced in September 2015 at approx 120k miles.

My question therefore is - is this normal or otherwise? Should I be concerned?

Also would welcome any thoughts, feedback or otherwise on the car from any owners or those in the know about this model.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭goochy

Where did u buy it ? Auction . Dealer ? I would have checked dealer history before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For the Xenon bulbs get them online, much cheaper, I've used www.powerbulbs.com before.
    Get 4 tyres not 3.

Clutch could go from lots of city driving or a poor driver not giving the clutch any fair play, nothing really to worry about infact a benefit in that it should last you a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Had a 2011 pre facelifted CC that VW UK had to replace the clutch, gearbox and flywheel on too. Not very common but not unheard of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Thanks guys. Should have said earlier. Bought it privately and was told it had full service history but turned out the guy couldn't find it. Made a trip from Dublin ti Limerick on train to see it so was rather annoyed but I negotiated a favourable deal on the back of it and took a chance. I believe the guy had theist or but was a bit of a clutz so reckon he genuinely misplaced it. The deal was such that it was worth a punt so only found out after by contacting VW UK.

It was a risky move on my part butagain, I feel that it was worth taking and the car is, it appear, in pretty good shape.

Get 4 tyres not 3.......nothing really to worry about infact a benefit in that it should last you a long time.

Yea, normally would only 4th tyre was about a month old. The guy who owned the car simply couldn't afford to run it - he had it for about 4-5 months by the looks of it. Fairly. Young guy to own such a car.

I was thinking that if new clutch and gearbox, then it should last. I suspect that it was driven poorly to warrant a replacement. Here's hoping got many years of fuss-free motoring for me as I do plan to keep it for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You've bought it now. It has a new clutch. Drive on and enjoy it. Great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Off topic, Shab, what happened your 8er?

Yea, normally would only 4th tyre was about a month old. The guy who owned the car simply couldn't afford to run it - he had it for about 4-5 months by the looks of it. Fairly. Young guy to own such a car.

I was thinking that if new clutch and gearbox, then it should last. I suspect that it was driven poorly to warrant a replacement. Here's hoping got many years of fuss-free motoring for me as I do plan to keep it for a long time.

Not necessarily, if they were all replaced at the same time then there was a good chance that it was like mine where a gearbox fracture caused a transmission fluid leak onto the clutch plate and/or flywheel. Happened mine at 60k miles and the car certainly had no signs of abuse by it's previous owner.

Thanks bazz. Maybe a bit short sighted by me to assume it was bad driving. The car doesn't seem to have been flogged, as it were.
    How has your own ownership experience of the cc fared?

Never had an issue with after that, sold it on just over 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bazz26 wrote: »
    Never had an issue with after that, sold it on just over 2 years ago.

Bazz, my sister just bought a 2011 CC GT. Is there anyway of checking if there is any outstanding recalls on the car?

kceire wrote: »
    Bazz, my sister just bought a 2011 CC GT. Is there anyway of checking if there is any outstanding recalls on the car?

Main dealer I'd imagine but once it's a UK import and outside of warranty they probably won't have much interest. I'd say the main one will probably be the dieselgate fix that hasn't been rolled out yet. A call to a NI main dealer might be worth a go too, I found Agnew's in Belfast very good.

bidiots wrote: »
    Off topic, Shab, what happened your 8er?

Ah, my beloved 840!!! It'll never be equaled in my opinion and am so very glad I owned one!! However, it was quite the money pit.
    Sold it (aka gave it away!) in 2012. 4.4 litre petrol, high tax, not much interest in this little island of ours. A guy from up north bought it in the end and flipped it in the Uk within weeks and I then saw a garage sold it about a month later. Went for a good deal more money than I got for it.
    I would have loved to be able to keep it but hey! Super car tho.

Did that fraud of a 'mechanic' Chris do much harm to it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Congrats on the car! Just bought one myself and im loving it. Feels more like an Audi than a VW.

bidiots wrote: »
    Did that fraud of a 'mechanic' Chris do much harm to it in the end?

Stop!!! When I think back........weird egg that guy and ended up upsetting slot of people. He did a fair bit of damage to my pocket, that's for sure plus he used to keep the car for far too long when it needed something. Came up with all sorts of crazy excuses when ya finally made contact. Lesson learned, to an extent. Still, I very much enjoyed the 8'er.

Did you have any experience of said fellow?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Congrats on the car! Just bought one myself and im loving it. Feels more like an Audi than a VW.

Likewise! I'm enjoying my own however the gloss was taken off a little on Sunday when the engine management light came on.....and has stayed in. I'm booked in to VW for Friday morning do I'm very much hoping it's nothing serious!

Stop!!! When I think back........weird egg that guy and ended up upsetting slot of people. He did a fair bit of damage to my pocket, that's for sure plus he used to keep the car for far too long when it needed something. Came up with all sorts of crazy excuses when ya finally made contact. Lesson learned, to an extent. Still, I very much enjoyed the 8'er.

Did you have any experience of said fellow?

I did and eventually got him kicked off that driver site. Couple of us got stung badly but I kept exposing him and eventually it all tumbled down. He hadn't the balls to meet me face to face either, probably just as well. I wonder what he's up to now though?

Advertisement