Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the best graphics card for an Optiplex 980 sff

Options
  • 07-08-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all. I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card in my PC. The card currently in the machine is a GT 610 (asus.com/ie/Graphics-Cards/GT6101GD3L/). The problem I have is the PC is a Dell Optiplex 980 sff (small form factor). It can only fit a low profile graphics card. The rest of the PC is pretty good, but this lame graphics card is holding it back and I'd like to replace it. I don't have a buget (within reason).

Here are my current specs:

DELL Optiplex 980 sff
    Windows 10
    Power supply 235 watts
    CPU : i7 860 @ 2.8oGHz
    RAM : 16 GB
    DirectX : Version 12
    Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1GB

Is there anything out there that's roughly the same size, but with a good bit more umph? Power consumption needs to be low. The PCIe slot sits very snug to the HDD; in fact,the HDD cassette/holder has had a chunk taken out of the side of it to fit the GT 610. There is a regular PCI slot below the graphics card, so plenty of room that way, which is probably useless.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The CPU is pretty old so it's not going to serve for modern gaming presuming that's what you're after, but for older games you'll be fine.

The likes of the GTX750 have a small form factor version and won't put much pressure on the PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SuperTony

Good call.
    I've had a look around and I like the look of this one -

amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-Express-5400GHz/dp/B00NM3BTVG/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1470612116&sr=1-3&keywords=750+ti+low+profile

It's just over £100, is slim enough, but it's a double slot card. It might work with a PCIe extender/riser cable and be left flopping around in the 2 available bays. I'd post pictures of my PC but Boards won't allow me :(

Advertisement