Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prerogative Wills (Swanzy)

Options
  • 07-08-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I have a document from National Library of Ireland (PDF format) which lists a potential relative of ours on the wills index with a source indicating the Swanzy (former Bishop of Dromore born 1873-died 1932) as the author of the index.
    It is not 100% clear to me if it is part of the PRONI collection or one deposited in the NLI in Dublin.

Has anyone here accessed those will abstracts ?
    I know that nli.ie has the 1858-1921 Will calendars transcribed and online.
    These ones, based on article above are typewritten abstracts curated and collected by the aforementioned H.Swanzy.

I am quite excited to see the abstract and I am wondering what the best approach would be for me to get to see it.
    I have a Dublin based cousin who recently retired and is interested in genealogy also and might be able to travel to reading room of NLI, etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The IGRS has Swanzy abstracts too. What's the name of the person - I can check for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Pinkypinky - that is very kind of you.

I've sent you a PM if that's OK as I'd prefer to read the will abstract (if found) in private first before sharing it on here.
    It is very likely that I will shared it indeed once I've digested it.
    There is an interesting backstory to the research.
    This person may or may not be a very direct ancestor in my male line.

Let me know , via here if PM is not suitable for you.

Many thanks,
    ifc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

There are a lot of wills transcribed by Swanzy and others. Many of these are indexed on Find My Past in their Index Of Irish Wills 1484-1858.

I found some of top interest and could only get the microfilms from the NAI. The index references on this index didn't seem to match and the microfilms even blown up significantly were unreadably tiny (I've a high tolerance for olde worlde handwriting).

There's a lot of heritage in there. Very important source. Need to bring in a microscope though next time :D Or can you push them to see the originals?

Advertisement