Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa player can't build muscle!

Options
  • 06-08-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Well lads, keeping it short and sweet!

I'm 18, playing intermediate with my club. I am 6ft 5 and weigh round 85kg. I find it extremely hard to put on muscle especially in my legs. I would love to grow my legs over the winter months and increase the power in them as I am good at running long distances but have little power in my legs. I have absolutely no quads whatsoever if I'm honest and I need to try and build quad muscle even if it is just for the looks 😄

Anyone with advice or a training plan for weights? I am not a complete stranger to the gym but when I am not seeing results I tend to give up after 4-6weeks of gym training. Obviously I need to keep at the gym but I must not be doing it efficiently or something....?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hi Seán, it might be a good idea to set up a similar thread here. You'll probably get much more detailed advice in the fitness forum than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

sean98 wrote: »

I'm 18, playing intermediate with my club. I am 6ft 5 and weigh round 85kg. I find it extremely hard to put on muscle especially in my legs. I would love to grow my legs over the winter months and increase the power in them as I am good at running long distances but have little power in my legs. I have absolutely no quads whatsoever if I'm honest and I need to try and build quad muscle even if it is just for the looks 😄

Anyone with advice or a training plan for weights? I am not a complete stranger to the gym but when I am not seeing results I tend to give up after 4-6weeks of gym training. Obviously I need to keep at the gym but I must not be doing it efficiently or something....?

Thanks in advance

You'll see nothing but strength gains in the first two months of leg work. Your current muscles are capable of much more than the demands currently placed on them without increasing in size. Leg muscles can be very difficult to develop in some body types regardless of work done but strength and explosiveness should be your main aim. Plyometrics and working up to squatting heavy will achieve this.
    Riptoes 5x5 is a great programme for getting large strength gains for beginners. Just start off really low in weight and work on form. Flexibility can really help in gains too especially for the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Goose81

sean98 wrote: »

Thanks in advance

You are light for your height alright. Its pretty simple though, go to the gym like you are but more importantly eat until you are fit to get sick and eat more. You will have to force feed yourself. Every dinner you get at home, make 2 portions and eat the other before you go to bed.

Advertisement