Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Opinions

Options
  • 06-08-2016 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey guys Im looking at buying a car and right now Im thinking (Land Rover Freelander 2.0 S 5D) or a (Volvo S40 2.0d/1.6d), what do ye car heads think of these cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What years? The previous model Freelanders had a terrible reputation for reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

What years? The previous model Freelanders had a terrible reputation for reliability.

Like 06 in each case, Ive heard good and bad things about both cars tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Id struggle to go for either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Freddiestar

I'd a 08 Volvo S40 1.8L petrol and would recommend it, not a thing went wrong with it,fully loaded, not quick off the line but a comfortable cruiser.

I'd a 08 Volvo S40 1.8L petrol and would recommend it, not a thing went wrong with it,fully loaded, not quick off the line but a comfortable cruiser.

Im not really fused about speed anymore tbh, just had a baby so going for something a bit different this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Volvo great car but slow acceleration. Known for alternator problems and you're looking at €800 replacement.

Freelander avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The S40 is quite a small car on the inside, rear legroom is tight and while it has a decent size boot the opening is narrow making it less practical. These things should be taken into account when it comes to filling up the car with baby stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why not look at getting a Volvo V40 instead it might be a bit more practical compared to the saloon.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The other half pretty much stopped any estate looking cars, I myself would have got a Audi estate. So pretty much she has to pass the car. She likes Golfs but Ive had 3 already so want something new. Pity I liked the look of Freelander why ye think avoid them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

But even less space in the back than the S40, unless you mean the old V40?

If you're a tall driver, rear leg room is limited tin the S40 to be honest, but a baby seat would fit OK.

• Advertisement

But even less space in the back than the S40, unless you mean the old V40?

If you're a tall driver, rear leg room is limited tin the S40 to be honest, but a baby seat would fit OK.

Being 5-10, being tall was never a problem :(, the S40 seems a better choice alright

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's just not about how tall you or your wife are, it's about how awkward getting a baby in and out can be and then you have to put the pram/buggy along with all the other stuff that comes with a baby, into the booth. The S40 is simply not built for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You could always consider a Skoda Octavia they have a big boot, are well built and are a good car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's just not about how tall you or your wife are, it's about how awkward getting a baby in and out can be and then you have to put the pram/buggy along with all the other stuff that comes with a baby, into the booth. The S40 is simply not built for that.
    Right now I use a 3 door corolla and have no trouble, I presume a S40 would be a walk in the park in comparison
    AMKC wrote: »
    You could always consider a Skoda Octavia they have a big boot, are well built and are a good car.
    Honestly I just dont like Skodas, stupid reason but I always feel if you dont like something you shouldnt buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

06 would suggest old car tax regime - maybe move to 08 and a lesser car?

Advertisement