Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oncoming traffic yielding when turning right

Options
  • 06-08-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

So, here's a question for y'all; what will the tester expect you to do if you're waiting to turn right and an oncoming car stops and beckons you on? Obviously in real life, I'll just go once I've figured out they're actually stopping for me and made sure that the way is clear otherwise, but will that get you marked for failing to yield on the test?

Also, just a PSA for you new drivers: don't do that! I know people think it's courteous, but really it's just confusing and potentially dangerous. If you're stopped in a queue or something, then it's fine (and technically required, I believe) to stop short of intersections so you aren't blocking them and allow people to turn in front of you (if they choose to; obviously don't beckon them), but please don't stop unnecessarily and yield to other cars when you actually have the right of way.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

You should make sure it's safe to go by checking properly for yourself and proceed if it is. Do not simply go because someone has waved you, there maybe someone coming that they haven't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd go.

I'd people do it once or twice during my lorry test when I was waiting for quite a while at a junction and I didn't get marked down. Just make sure you're clear, especially down the inside of the car waiting (think cyclists).

Advertisement