Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Polo nct high idle emissions fail.

Options
  • 06-08-2016 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice in the know and would greatly appreciate any help.

Basically I failed the nct exhaust emissions test yesterday as you can see with "lambda 1.36" as you can see in the attached image (this is like double dutch to me) . I asked the guy what it could be, he said possibly a hole in the exhaust and that that would be best scenario.

Does anybody know what other possibilities there are for this and what sort of costs I'll be looking at? I want to have some ida before I head to a mechanic and possibly get fooled.

Just to add it also failed on "Exhaust smoke and CO/HC Lambda", described as a "continuous oil leak", location stated as middle front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

1123heavy wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice in the know and would greatly appreciate any help.

Basically I failed the nct exhaust emissions test yesterday as you can see with "lambda 1.36" as you can see in the attached image (this is like double dutch to me) . I asked the guy what it could be, he said possibly a hole in the exhaust and that that would be best scenario.

Does anybody know what other possibilities there are for this and what sort of costs I'll be looking at? I want to have some ida before I head to a mechanic and possibly get fooled.

Just to add it also failed on "Exhaust smoke and CO/HC Lambda", described as a "continuous oil leak", location stated as middle front.

Could be a hole in the exhaust but that reading is off the scale for lambda. A hole would be very noticeable at that figure. The other fault is self explanatory, you have an engine or gearbox oil leak at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Could be a hole in the exhaust but that reading is off the scale for lambda. A hole would be very noticeable at that figure. The other fault is self explanatory, you have an engine or gearbox oil leak at the front.

Thank you, so you reckon the lambda could cost quite a bit to get fixed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

1123heavy wrote: »
    Thank you, so you reckon the lambda could cost quite a bit to get fixed ?

It's hard to know. If you get a rag and completely block off the end of the exhaust, you will either hear the exhaust leaking or else you will feel a lot of pressure on your hand telling you there's no leak. If there's no leak it could be a number of other things causing the lambda reading.

Advertisement