Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

8 - 9.5k budget advice needed.

Options
  • 06-08-2016 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all. Need your wisdom.

I drive a lovely little golf. She's getting old though (2002 1.6 SE, 105,000m). Great car really. But I need something higher and newer and would like to sell the golf before it's worth nothing an while its till running so well and low mileage.

So I live rurally and do about average mileage per year. I have a little boy who is moving into a second stage rear facing car seat (leg room proving very tight in the golf with this seat). I've just replaced the sump on the golf as my lane is so bumpy so def want something higher.

Wouldn't mind moving to diesel. Need at least a bit of pep. I like a biggish boot. Style wise I'm looking at qashqai and Sportage (although to my eyes the latter age badly). I also recently hired a Leon and loved it but it was new and powerful.

Obviously concerns are fuel efficiency, low tax band, a little bit of pep, comfort, not too low and not too ugly!!! (Not asking much)

I don't like the focus.

In this price range would a qashqai be a good buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just for perspective, how did you find the Leon size wise compared to your old Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rupertbear

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just for perspective, how did you find the Leon size wise compared to your old Golf?

I'm no expert but aren't the Leon and golf kind of the same car in ways?

I only drove the new Leon for a day but it was def bigger I think as less hassle with car seat. Maybe just the back seat space was bigger. My golf seems small really. But the boot is big which is great. Back seats seem very cramped.

Yeah, they're built on the same platform and are essentially the same thing, but cars usually get bigger every time a new version comes out. Your golf is a mark 4, the current golf (which the current Leon is based on) is a mark 7.

Perhaps a VW Tiguan would fit the bill. If you like the Golf you'll like this.

Yeah, they're built on the same platform and are essentially the same thing, but cars usually get bigger every time a new version comes out. Your golf is a mark 4, the current golf (which the current Leon is based on) is a mark 7.

Perhaps a VW Tiguan would fit the bill. If you like the Golf you'll like this.

They look lovely but outside budget if I'm to go by done deal. I do love the vw but happy to move away. Thanks for the responses.

Any opinion generally on qashqai 1.5diesel, 2010? Are they sluggish?

can't see you getting a 2010 Qashqai within budget to be fair.

Qashqai will feel about as powerful as your current car.

• Advertisement

can't see you getting a 2010 Qashqai within budget to be fair.

Qashqai will feel about as powerful as your current car.

Weirdly I've seen a few for aroubd 9 9.5 (2009 or 2010 with higher mileage but not through the roof).

I could go to 10k but I'd rather not I suppose.

It's a minefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rupertbear wrote: »
    Weirdly I've seen a few for aroubd 9 9.5 (2009 or 2010 with higher mileage but not through the roof).

I could go to 10k but I'd rather not I suppose.

It's a minefield!

You sure those Qashqais are diesel? The cheapest 2010/2009 Qashqai I could find on carzone.ie for 9k/10k are either commercial or petrol.

Even non intergalactic 08s could be over budget.
    I'd imagine a few are ex vrt as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I would like to sell the golf before it's worth nothing

Do I have to break the OPs heart?

At this stage drive it on

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Do I have to break the OPs heart?

At this stage drive it on

Haha. I can take it!!

Surely someone would buy my new tyres and dice mirror! (I jest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Haha. I can take it!!

Surely someone would buy my new tyres and dice mirror! (I jest)

I've a Mark 4 Golf diesel myself, I've had a few young fellas looking to buy it off me so you probably will get a buyer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP's is petrol though which doesn't have the same following but that not to say it wouldn't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

I've a Mark 4 Golf diesel myself, I've had a few young fellas looking to buy it off me so you probably will get a buyer for it.

Yeah, because it's diesel , petrol golf not comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP's is petrol though which doesn't have the same following but that not to say it wouldn't sell.
    Needles73 wrote: »
    Yeah, because it's diesel , petrol golf not comparable

Ah just copped that now, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Skoda Octavia is a good option that would be worth considering.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement