Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Analytics into FPL Team Selection

Options
  • 06-08-2016 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody uses advanced statistics or predictive models to pick their FPL teams?

I heard that draft kings over in the US is full of data scientists trying to pick teams. And was wondering if anybody uses these methods for FPL

It would be interesting to see what data people get and what they use to make predictions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I was just wondering if anybody uses advanced statistics or predictive models to pick their FPL teams?

I heard that draft kings over in the US is full of data scientists trying to pick teams. And was wondering if anybody uses these methods for FPL

It would be interesting to see what data people get and what they use to make predictions.

This is basically what Fantasy Football Fix does I'd imagine. Algorithm predicted score returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There's a lot of people using opta data to help with decisions. In football it mostly just highlights the obvious though really.

As dfs grows in the UK I am sure we will see more data orientated sites popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

FHFC wrote: »
    This is basically what Fantasy Football Fix does.

i.e. The Devil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

manual_man wrote: »
    FHFC wrote: »
    This is basically what Fantasy Football Fix does I'd imagine. Algorithm predicted score returns.
    i.e. The Devil
    A failing pointless and timewasting devil though.

FFF is absolutely great for all kinds of stats (captain & vice-captain picks, players ownerships, popular transfers in and out etc... for the elite (top 1K IIRC) and the whole game ; they even remove dead teams from their stats which is most useful as the season goes) that save you a huge amount of time not to have to search for by yourself.

But their decisions counselling doesn't work at all (I tried and checked it several times last year and their advice were rubbish). I'd say it can't work because it's the wrong stats that are used. It's exactly like the ones pundits are talking about year in year out. Some of the most stupid ones being % of possession and pass completion rate. If you have 90% of possession with most of it in your own half it's useless. And if a def midfielder gets 95% PCR but with most of his passes 5m to the side or behind, what's the point. They should separate forward pass, zone of possesion etc... etc..

And anyway, as DeGaulle was saying "stats are like mini-skirts, it gives you an idea but it hides the main thing" :pac:.

Advertisement