Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade help 2500k era

Options
  • 06-08-2016 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

After years of faithful service my cpu cooler has given up the goose and i haven't kept up with the technology since really. Seeing as im buying a new one of them i might as well get a new graphics card as the one i have is having a hard time keeping up with the likes of FO4 etc.
    So i was looking for advice for the best value card to be powered by a 550w psu and also for a decent CPU cooler for overclocking the 2500k to get a few more years out of it if anyone would be so kind to share some advice.

Current specs are:
    ASRock z68 gen3 motherboard
    2500k i5
    radeon 6870
    8gb ram
    super flower 550w PSU

The games i mostly play are EU4 and CSGO etc but would also like the ability to play new games like FO4 and DOOM at decent frame rates at 1080P.

Budget wise I'm probably looking at €200-300 but obviously less is better.

Cheers lads :p:p:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

RX 270 probably suits you, not priced much above €200, not too hot on CPU Coolers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd assume he means RX 470. You could go to the 480 as well if you find a decent price one. It's usually closer to the €270 mark though (this is the cheapest I've seen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Either a new RX470 4Gb or 2nd hand GTX970. Either will handle the latest games at 1080p ultra settings. The Evo212 is pretty wallet friendly and good for modest overclocks. Could also look at all-in-one watercoolers, few Antec and Silverstone models at around €55 that are fairly solid. There's so many air coolers it's hard to recommend just one. Thermaltake do good solid range of high performance, low noise coolers like the Macho.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Another vote for rx470. Looks like perfect for your needs and kind of in budget.

As for cooler: as said before, there are plenty of them out there. Just Google or check reviews on sites you buy.

2500k happily overclocker on Any decent cooler.

Advertisement