Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - M50 to Kilcock widening/upgrade

Options
  • 06-08-2016 2:38am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a scheme in planning according to TII Chief Exec Michael Nolan at a recent Engineers Ireland conference.

Only at feasability stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    This is a scheme in planning according to TII Chief Exec Michael Nolan at a recent Engineers Ireland conference.

Only at feasability stage.

Do you mean widening the M4 to 3 lanes only or widening the existing 3 lane N4 to the M50 too?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I believe it's widening the M4 element and bringing the N4 element up to motorway standards

Details are still sketchy

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    I believe it's widening the M4 element and bringing the N4 element up to motorway standards

Details are still sketchy

That's what I was thinking. Not much scope for widening the N4 section easily. But the M4 needs 3 lanes asap. What's the alternative route like if the M4 was extended? I'm not familiar with the general area except travelling inbound and out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

medoc wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. Not much scope for widening the N4 section easily. But the M4 needs 3 lanes asap. What's the alternative route like if the M4 was extended? I'm not familiar with the general area except travelling inbound and out.

Having grown up in Lucan, I'd be surprised if they managed to upgrade the Lucan bypass - M50 to motorway. There are footpaths the whole way along which would be difficult to segregate, and no room for a parallel non-motorway road between Lucan East to M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

spacetweek wrote: »
    Having grown up in Lucan, I'd be surprised if they managed to upgrade the Lucan bypass - M50 to motorway. There are footpaths the whole way along which would be difficult to segregate, and no room for a parallel non-motorway road between Lucan East to M50.

Could they upgrade and widen the Strawberry Beds road which leads to chapelizod/Phoenix park?

I travelled it today and concluded that the reason this hasn't been done is to avoid Toll dodging

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

D Trent wrote: »
    Could they upgrade and widen the Strawberry Beds road which leads to chapelizod/Phoenix park?

I travelled it today and concluded that the reason this hasn't been done is to avoid Toll dodging

Namely the R109

Now obviously it wouldn't be possible to connect to the M50 but I don't think that's essential for Lucan traffic/commuters
    And certainly not L drivers or cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How would you get to Sureweld, or St Lomans? if it was Motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how much will this cost? would it not be better to get people onto rail? the capitals roads cant cope with the bloody traffic!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how much will this cost? would it not be better to get people onto rail? the capitals roads cant cope with the bloody traffic!

The almost parallel rail line is also, if you believe Irish Rail, at capacity.

Regardless of whether the motorway upgrade of the existing 3 lane section is needed there are still safety improvements required; but a third lane is needed to Kilcock urgently.

Advertisement