Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No strength in my arms

Options
  • 05-08-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I have recently returned to running to try and improve my general fitness and on rest days I want to swim but I do not have the strength to do more than one length, I tried press ups today and could only do 5 !!!

I have always been generally fit so the lack of strength surprised me. I have no interest in body building but I obviously need to build some core strength along with arms and shoulders.

I have no equipment, if I just persist with the press ups trying to do more everyday will I get there ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I have recently returned to running to try and improve my general fitness and on rest days I want to swim but I do not have the strength to do more than one length, I tried press ups today and could only do 5 !!!

I have always been generally fit so the lack of strength surprised me. I have no interest in body building but I obviously need to build some core strength along with arms and shoulders.

I have no equipment, if I just persist with the press ups trying to do more everyday will I get there ?

Thanks.

Try posting in the fitness forum. This forum is pretty quite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I used kettlebell training to strengthen my arms, legs for swimming. One arm push press, kettlebell swings, goblet squats in addition to bodyweight exercises, press ups, dips, planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you can't do even one length you need to learn how to swim, not improve stronger arms.
    Short distance sprints will require strong powerful strokes, but slower long distance swimming isn't a strength activity.
    Being stronger will make any physically activity easier of course, but the above doesn't sound like a strength issue to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 steeven01

Hi Joe10000,
    How is your strength coming along now? Are you able to swim one lap comfortably? Swimming is a great way to get fitter and is also very rewarding.

I have been a competitive swimmer in the past and have really enjoyed it. Here are some key benefits that mite benefit you or motivate you to keep going. :)

1. water is Muscle strengthening.When you swim, you use the resistance of the water to produce the results similar to those used when working out with machines or weights, except that you don’t need special equipment. Your muscles will be stronger in no time if you start swimming regularly.

2. Swimming has a low impact as your body is buoyant in the water, which means you’re actually only bearing about ten percent of your weight. The low-impact workout is a great way for anyone with bone, joint, or muscle problems to work out with less strain. They’ll avoid further injury and pain while staying in shape by swimming instead of performing land exercises.

3. Endurance & Muscle recovery Swimming is a great way to increase endurance. The longer people swim, the more their bodies come to tolerate hard workouts.
    Swimming helps your circulatory system move blood around your body and back to your heart more efficiently, clear blood lactate, and reduce tissue inflammation caused by exertion. This is a good way This is ideal for helping your muscles recover after a workout.

best wishes

Advertisement