Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for 13 yro son

Options
  • 05-08-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? up to €800.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No, will sort a key.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes. I have 3 x 2TB drives in my own PC, 2 of which are not used at the moment, so I can donate 1 to him. its a 2TB WD Blue I got a year ago.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes. He wants 2 monitors.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 25'+. Need two. Must be good monitors.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Wireless card. Speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Can pay any method.

9. When are you purchasing? undecided.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin

So, the young lad wants to build a PC. He was looking at Laptops, but doesn't need the mobility factor, so can get more bang for the buck with a pc. I am thinking a 250gb ssd for the OS and then 2TB HDD for storage. Also a CD drive will be wanted. I have a nanoxia DS1 case myself. Maybe a smaller version for himself would do well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

goz83 wrote: »
    1. What is your budget? up to €800.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No, will sort a key.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes. I have 3 x 2TB drives in my own PC, 2 of which are not used at the moment, so I can donate 1 to him. its a 2TB WD Blue I got a year ago.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes. He wants 2 monitors.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 25'+. Need two. Must be good monitors.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Wireless card. Speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Can pay any method.

9. When are you purchasing? undecided.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin

So, the young lad wants to build a PC. He was looking at Laptops, but doesn't need the mobility factor, so can get more bang for the buck with a pc. I am thinking a 250gb ssd for the OS and then 2TB HDD for storage. Also a CD drive will be wanted. I have a nanoxia DS1 case myself. Maybe a smaller version for himself would do well?

2 * 25"+ monitors will blow the budget I reckon, you are likely looking at 300-350+ for both. You would get a much better system if you went with one screen for now, and another if required down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

2 monitors is out of the question on such a budget IMO, as multi-monitor set-ups usually cost around €350 for basic 1080p ones. Not to mention that you'd need a beefy GPU to game at multi-monitor resolutions.

IMO, this build could do nicely;
    Core i5 6400: €170
    Case: €60-€70
    B150 Mobo: €75
    8GB DDR4 2133MHz : €30
    8GB MSI RX 470: €240
    EVGA/Corsair/BeQuiet/XFX/Seasonic 400-500W PSU: €65
    Wireless PCI-E card: €15
    Speakers: €15

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    2 monitors is out of the question on such a budget IMO, as multi-monitor set-ups usually cost around €350 for basic 1080p ones. Not to mention that you'd need a beefy GPU to game at multi-monitor resolutions.

IMO, this build could do nicely;
    Core i5 6400: €170
    Case: €60-€70
    B150 Mobo: €75
    8GB DDR4 2133MHz : €30
    8GB MSI RX 470: €240
    EVGA/Corsair/BeQuiet/XFX/Seasonic 400-500W PSU: €65
    Wireless PCI-E card: €15
    Speakers: €15

Cheers. The dual monitor set up is not to game on 2 monitors. One monitor at a time for gaming and the other monitor for whatever else he has open. That said, I think you're right. One monitor now and he can add another one later if he wants.

I see hardwareversand are gone. Where is the go to place now? komplett?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Mindfactory

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

goz83 wrote: »
    Cheers. The dual monitor set up is not to game on 2 monitors. One monitor at a time for gaming and the other monitor for whatever else he has open. That said, I think you're right. One monitor now and he can add another one later if he wants.

I see hardwareversand are gone. Where is the go to place now? komplett?

Mindfactory.de, Amazon, and Overclockers.co.uk

OCUK in particular seem to have the best stock of GPUs lately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement