Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car with weird reg plate

Options
  • 05-08-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Saw a car today with a reg 131 WW 000

Is that a legimate plate ? I know 0 is a number but

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Nah. Demo plate I'd say, on an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

vicwatson wrote: »
    Saw a car today with a reg 131 WW 000

Is that a legimate plate ? I know 0 is a number but

If it was on the road it should of had a green plate in the windows with XXXX WW 162 to be driven legally, assuming in was a Wicklow dealer. In a yard a lot of dealers use 0000 for show

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It was a normal white plate not a garage plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

testicles wrote: »
    More than likely an import that hasn't been registered here yet on a test drive from a dealer.

Illegal if on the road.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

A 131 import ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I saw 151-D-0000 on the M50 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 131 import ?

Yes, they sell cars new in the uk.

Esel wrote: »
    Illegal if on the road.

Not if they have trade plates.

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/MotorTax/TradePlates/Thefile,5931,en.pdf

Del2005 wrote: »

Trade plates don't allow you to also use an Irish format plate and make up a number though.

• Advertisement

A 131 import ?

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some dealers just don't know the law and that, a few car seizures from them and they will soon get the message.

It's not a trade plate...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

A 131 import ?

A friend of mine was looking at buying a UK version of a 2014 Audi A5, the trim is slightly different and better looking than an irish version, don't know why but it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

gumbo1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine was looking at buying a UK version of a 2014 Audi A5, the trim is slightly different and better looking than an irish version, don't know why but it is!

You mean the trim is slightly different and better looking than the Irish ones he was viewing.
    I'm sure a nice spec A5 was available here too.
    You may be interested to note that on the A5, the xenon lights with LED were standard here on all A5 yet only an option in the uk. This was back on original release.
    I do agree that in general, the people in uk will go for a better spec than here but that is down to the silly taxes here pushing the cars to silly prices.

It's not a trade plate...

The post I was replying to said it's illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle on the road, I was pointing out that it's legal with a trade plate.

What the OP saw was in the usual way of dealing with Irish road traffic law, ignored by everyone.

The post I was replying to said it's illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle on the road, I was pointing out that it's legal with a trade plate.

What the OP saw was in the usual way of dealing with Irish road traffic law, ignored by everyone.

You replied to my post, which was a reply to testicles post. Reread the thread.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

You replied to my post, which was a reply to testicles post. Reread the thread.

Oh man....!!

Oh man....!!

Like pulling teeth it is.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Advertisement

Yes, but trade plates in the window don't mean you can just make up a reg and put it onto the car as well.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes, they sell cars new in the uk.
    Why not?

Ok calm down. If I knew the answer I'd never have posted.

Cheers, and yes they were permanently fixed like any other plate you'd see. There wasn't any trade plates on display.

Calm down? Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes, but trade plates in the window don't mean you can just make up a reg and put it onto the car as well.

If it is an actual number plate, I'd guess not, but something which is not real, then why not. 131-D-BMW, 09-D-000 or Murphy's Motors shouldn't make a difference to no plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are just makey up numberplates for display purposes that garage use with UK imports or new cars they are selling. I'd say it may have been a buyer on a test drive but technically it's illegal to use them in a public place.

Incidentally a brand new Mondeo passed me earlier today and it had no plates on it at all, obviously being test drove a potential buyer with the salesman in the passenger seat.

Advertisement